Classic AI traffic poll

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Do you want classic AI traffic packages?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 29

igorski
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by igorski »

Im using the cal classic ones, so there are both AI, and normal versions to choose from 8)

None of the one listed just above happen to be ones I've done, but if we can get a definite list together then Im sure I can do some.

St.Paddy
Meteor
Meteor

Post by St.Paddy »

I am already doing plans for circa 1967 - if you watch this site!!!

By the time they are finished they will be fairly extensive.

8)

It's repaints I need!!!!!!!

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

I voted no simply because I don't use the AI traffic much.
I get rather P**SED off with having to wait 10 minutes to say a message to ATC while all the AI traffic talks first.

Andy

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Major_Clanger wrote:I think you would need some easy way to swap between packages. You don't want VC10s flying with Rapides. Need some period airfields too...

Sounds good though. :smile:
I am not a programmer, but I think a simple way to accomplish this is with some batch files to move the flightplans to (or from) a backup directory, renaming the file so the extension changes. For example, if your modern day traffic is in "traffic030528.bgl" this gets renamed to "traffic030528.bak" and then moved to a new backup directory. Then, for example, the file "traffic_1940.bak" is moved from the backup directory and renamed "traffic_1940.bgl" (the extension must be renamed because FS will recognize a .bgl file in any scenery directory)

A shortcut to the batch file on the desktop could provide a quick-link to the batch files, or a more sophisticated GUI shell could be developed to switch the files, perhaps with a menu for the various time periods involved.

Just a thought, and no, I don't know enough to actually do it, but I am sure someone out there does ;)

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

I have to say the thought of all that switching and renaming sounds like a recipe for disaster with me! If someone clever at this sort of thing could develop a menu as you suggest (if there isn't already one available - I'll have a look), that would be an excellent idea!
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

I think I could do the batch files.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Angus wrote:I have to say the thought of all that switching and renaming sounds like a recipe for disaster with me! If someone clever at this sort of thing could develop a menu as you suggest (if there isn't already one available - I'll have a look), that would be an excellent idea!
I suppose it could be a recipe for disaster if it is not done correctly - One idea would be to always maintain a backup (this can be part of the batch file process) so if you ever do have a disaster you could manually copy the traffic file from the backup directory and then change the extension from ".bak" to ".bgl". I think this would avert any disasters. Additionally, you can always zip the originals and store them somewhere else so that they could be restored if needed.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Traffic.bgls could be different on other peoples systems, depending on which add-ons they have installed, so any batch file would have to move / rename / backup them all. Just checked my system, and I have 11 different active traffic files, not counting the original (backed-up) FS one.
Dave G.

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

It is possible to put them into a seperate folder and have FS treat them as normal scenery.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I voted "No", because my PC will not allow AI and "smooth" simulation at the same time! I used to have HP Hastings and Blackburn Beverley's instead of DHC-8 and 737's. Problem was, at big airports, you would find the place filled with them! Normally in the same colour schemes!
When I did the big re-install, I have gone for speed over eye-candy, so I can run the best new aircraft releases.
ATB Trev