Classic AI traffic poll

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Do you want classic AI traffic packages?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 29

BobH
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by BobH »

I'm busy at the moment doing flightplans and repaints for 1973. So far I've completed Qantas and KLM and am just about to finish Zambia Airways. I've lots of original timetables (just bought Loftleider and Finnair) so lots more to come. You are very welcome to use any of my packages for your new project. At the moment I'm submitting them to Retroai (flightplans) and Avsim (repaints).
Bob

monarols
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by monarols »

I voted yes, as currently I am using detailed flight models for 80% of my 1970/73 flightsim world in FS2002, which is my dedicated retro sim. Naturally, this looks superb, but get more than 5 aircraft in the shot at once (even ones in the distance) and frame rates get down to the 10fps mark.

I also run FS2004, in modern day times on the same PC, but AI is not so much of a problem as most airlines are available with PAI, et al.

I agree tho, a backup of your traffic file would be essential before I would install it.

Very much looking fwd to your flightplans and repaints for 1973 BobH

Tim W
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Tim W »

Depends on how period authentic you want it to be.

Seems like 2 versions of the sim are needed. A menu choice, FS2004 and FS 1970 (or whatever)

Then when selecting the period version the vintage aircraft are available together with vintage airfields as well.
A big project if you want it done worldwide, all the old airports will have to be recreated as they were like Kai Tak, Idelwild and and Schiphol operating from the old East side. A lot of modern airports need to be removed like Milan Malpensa, The New Hong Kong, etc.

Actually sounds like a completely new sim would be called for to get complete accuracy. Did CDG even exist in those days? probably not.

Tim

gwsimulations
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gwsimulations »

Tim W wrote:Did CDG even exist in those days? probably not.
I found 1970 scenery over at FSFrance, so it must have been around then.

Andy B
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Andy B »

Tim W wrote:Depends on how period authentic you want it to be.

Seems like 2 versions of the sim are needed. A menu choice, FS2004 and FS 1970 (or whatever)

Then when selecting the period version the vintage aircraft are available together with vintage airfields as well.
A big project if you want it done worldwide, all the old airports will have to be recreated as they were like Kai Tak, Idelwild and and Schiphol operating from the old East side. A lot of modern airports need to be removed like Milan Malpensa, The New Hong Kong, etc.

Actually sounds like a completely new sim would be called for to get complete accuracy. Did CDG even exist in those days? probably not.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your input, there are limitations with a project like this regarding scenery. Having airports that were true to there time would be indeed very nice but sadly almost impossible to do. It was all very well having FS2004 that celebrated a century of flight but if you select any of those historic flights such as the Vickers Vimy trans-atlantic you'll still see landmarks that weren't even possible or dreamed of in the days of such a flight i.e. - the millenium dome. :lol:

I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :lol:

Andy.

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

I think it still is a good idea! :lol: I agree, there are limitations, and while re-opening Kai Tak, etc. is needed for total authenticity, keeping the existing airports and just replacing the AI with classic AI would do for me! As if that's a small task on its own... :lol: Anyway, if there could be some way of quickly switching between current AI and classic (so my existing Traffic 2004 would be saved and could be reactivated for "modern" flights) then that would be unbelievable! If not, then I'll just have to spend some time getting my head around .bgl and .bat files and everything. :shock: :grin: These screenies certainly gives me inspiration to do it though: http://cbfsim.org/cbfsimv5/cbfsbb/viewtopic.php?t=2696
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus