HS 748 updated panel problems

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: HS 748 updated panel problems

Post by DaveB »

No problem Cyril :thumbsup: I wish there was someone left here who could do a 'fix' as I for one think it's a great idea. One day maybe ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Dave, you are correct in identifying the sound running after all the circuits are open.
Supposed to be open, that is.

Last night I ran the battery voltage down to 13 volts. But the sound continued to play and the radar equipment still had power.
also the lights on the gear position indicator lights are on.
The flaps wouldn't operate and of course the engines wouldn't start at that voltage.
Not even with the ground power turned on. And 28 volts on the meter.
I had changed the avionics file name to stop it from playing during this test. btw.

well, .. I reloaded the aircraft but it wouldn't start. Not with the rapid start icon on the panel or manual start.
It was late (early morning) and i figured the sim wasn't behaving so I shut it off and went to bed.

I must say , The discussion on this issue is .. simply that. Rick's (and company) 748 is, to this day, one of the best fs models created.
None are perfect in every way because the sim isn't. How can one make a perfect model on the foundation of imperfect software.
It's like :dunno: thinking youll find "the perfect woman". .. don't waste time trying to find one because you won't find one.
unless of course swmbo is looking over your shoulder as you are reading this.... That one is ... and you'll say it if you value ...
ohh i dunno know..... breathing, .., a nice warm bed to sleep in, instead of a park bench. .. :doh:
anyway , BOT,
so -Cyril, I was incorrect thinking it was the sounds of " ground power" equipment running,
it's not. It is the sounds avionics make. We hear them because there's a closed circuit feeding power to the avionics equipment. I noted the radar is powered and the gear position indicator lights ... a few other things. ...

but then .., in the manual.. yeah,? The manual clearly shows the last thing on the check list after shut down is.
Ground Power - ON.

SO, you know what, that's what I'm gonna do. Obey the checklist. .. :) ... although i may put my earbuds in to drown out the whirling. .. ....
.. :tunes: ........ in my mind im gone to Carolina.... :tunes:
:wasntme:

cheers
Joe

speepig
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by speepig »

There was one in the background in a BBC report on the earthquake in Nepal. The absence of bird's nests in the engines suggested it may not be grounded.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

DaveB wrote:Rgr that Eric ;) I can't recall the exact reasons for the 748's withdrawal now but something is telling me it was down to maintenance or lack of by the 'then' operator. It was uneconomic for them to get the airframes where they needed to be (probably not possible either) so the plug was pulled on the lot. I think that's it.. something like that anyway :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
IIRC Emerald's fleet got grounded because of, er, improper maintenance records. They weren't being updated within the timescale required after maintenance performed. I think this was the last straw for Emerald as they'd also been caught with improper flight crew records too,
and had a major wrist-slap from AAIB http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... aa-208411/
over the previous few years.

Andy Janes, owner of Emerald did hatch a rescue plan involving a few airframes, but nothing really came to fruition.

The Nepalese did have one 748 in service --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepalese_Army_Air_Service
piccy ---> [img] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rforce.jpg [\img]

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Rgr that Pete.. cheers :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Hi Guys, :hello:

As has been identified, the sound is not controllable and is the [jet whine] part of the sound cfg. Switching aircraft back and forth with engines off will stop it, or comment out the sound name.

I've just checked, and the door warning light bitmap is incorrectly named in the XML, a throwback to the original panel, therefore it won't light. :doh:

The aircraft has true ground power in the form of a third feathered engine, however I suspect if the FS battery is flat, as opposed to the simulated one shown on the voltmeter, it probably won't start in much the same way as any other FS engine.

Cheers

Fraser

sayrowl
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by sayrowl »

Hi Guys
Once again, thank you to all of you!
I didn't expect so many replies.....

Fraser, yours panel are really really stunning. Congratulations!
Thank you. The door warning light is fine now :) . With cabdir, I copied and pasted the missing bitmap "Red_Lamp_on.bmp" out of the previous cab file (HS7) to the updated one (HS748 cab) and now it works perfectly!

Have a good night!
Cyril

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Hi Cyril,

Great, I was going to suggest that or renaming the file in the xml, but wasn't sure how comfortable you were with the cab business...clearly not a problem! :lol:

cheers

Fraser

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Tomliner wrote:As an aside to this thread, I just wondered if anyone knows if there are any airworthy 748s remaining anywhere? According to Wikipedia there's a preserved series 1 type preseserved at Liverpool's Speke Airport but I assume it's not fly able. *-) EricT
To go back to an early question in this thread, I'm sure the answer is that there must be dozens.

A search on Airliners.net shows Indian Air Force, Thailand Air Force, Wasaya Airways, Air North and Zambia Air Force active examples in the last twelve months. I am sure there are many others.

John

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks John.I should have thought to look there myself. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!