EGPB Scenery Please

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

EGPB Scenery Please

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

After seeing SUPER AWESOME Shetland mystery tv episodes which show cool Sumburgh Airport in Shetland Islands, I wonder if there is a cool freeware EGPB Sumburgh Airport scenery for FSX use?

Yes I know there is payware EGPB Sumburgh Airport scenery that requires installation of another payware OXBY scenery package called Scotland Package.

I am hoping that any of you might know amazing freeware EGPB Sumburgh Airport scenery from any local British flightsimming website that I am not aware of.

Also, would appreciate anyone telling me about history of EGPB Sumburgh Airport. What jet airline planes did airlines use for that airport? I know BA146s were used there. Flybe is using SAAB propeller planes there and FlyBe used to operate HS748s under name of Jersey airline for that airport. What other jet planes and propeller planes did airlines use for that EGPB Sumburgh Airport, please?

Thanks,

Aharon

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: EGPB Scenery Please

Post by DaveG »

There's a package over at Avsim called "Scotports Volume 1" by Chris Horsfield which contains EGPB. It's for FS9, but may work in FSX. No idea how good it is though.
Dave G.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks, Dave :thumbsup:

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Aharon , Sumburgh holds a special place for me , so here are some thoughts to answer you .
EGPB has 2 intersecting Rwys , 15/33 and 09/27 .
15/33 is the longest .
App to 33 is alongside Sumburgh Head lighthouse at 500ft aim at quarry and descend , turn final approx 80ft over Sumburgh Head Hotel with red light on chimney , roll on to centre line at 20-50 ft ; land .

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz5_7gXkqgs

App 15 is a steeper one parallel with the slope of the hill coming down from Fitful Head .
Both of these are daylight only ,[ 30 mins B4 sunrise to 30 mins after sunset ] . Used to have discussions / arguments with ATC as to wot time sunset was ? And with our pedals to the metal wot time we'd arrive on Rwy 33 ? ...all to avoid a longer and slower app to rwy 27 .

09/27 is the shorter and Instrument Rwy , thus a performance landing , max flap , min speed , full reverse , max braking ...
Link to app charts for Sumburgh .............
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... d=190.html
In the old days , only an SRA or VOR , then a localiser , now a full ILS on 27 .
When night stopping , we'd get forecast overnight wind from ATC and park nose into wind . External control locks would be part of our ' putting to bed ritual ' , as it was not uncommon to have winds exceeding 100 kts . Google wreck of MV Braer Jan 1993 . Lots of photos of Fitful Head . Most are taken in good weather , the only one taken in the stormy weather which prevailed is this ...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wreck ... IZoKeVM%3A
The MV Green Lily foundered a few years later nearby . Tragically Bristow's SAR winchman Bill Deacon lost his life in the rescue and was posthumously awarded he George Medal .This photo again Shetland stormy weather ....
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6550354

Early days post war would have been Dragon Rapides , DC3s , then Dart Herald , Viscounts , in my day ' Budgies ' [ 748s ] , ATPs [ Parrots and other rude names ] . These were operated by BEA and BA HD ,[ Highland Division ] .
Air Anglia would have started with DC3s , then F27s . Others would have brought in DHC Dash 7s , DHC Dash 8s , Saab 2000s .
Loganair set up originally in late 60s , Islanders , Trislanders , DHC-6Twotters , Sheds [ Short Skyvans , 330s , 360s ] and as you see now Saabs in Flybe colours .
May I commend to you .........
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Pilot-Ca ... 0951895885
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Pilot-Capt ... 1898852057

Not many jets due to Rwy length on 09/27 , steep app on 15/33 . But F28s , Gulfstreams and 146s have been seen .
Airport went from very small to a very busy hub with the arrival of N. Sea oil . Hugh helicopter hub to reach out to the furthest fields , which were too far from Aberdeen .
BAH and Bristows were big players , S61s , later Pumas , Super Pumas , and now I guess S92s , AW 139s , AW 189s used . BAH experimented with Chinooks , with single cabin crew . The ex Chinook cabin crew were very pretty and NOT tall . Helicopter flying in the North Sea is a tough job even now , with an history of a/c and crew losses .

Rgds dave f .

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Dfarrow,

Thanks for amazing explanations!!!

Did Dan Air ever operate flights to EGPB?

Regards,

Aharon

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Aharon , Yes Dan - Dare had a large fleet of Budgies [ 748s ]dedicated to oil charters , and so were often into Sumburgh . I think they also were in and out of Scatsta , [ N. of Sumburgh ] . Brymon or latterly Puffin Airways were also seen in Northern Isles using DHC - 7s . They were the only larger planes to use Unst ... far , far North .
Budgies and Dash-7s had a capacity of mid 40s , so a Chinook load of ''oilies'' off the rigs would transfer nicely into one of those for the trip South . Whereas 2 S61s or Pumas were needed to fill a southbound plane .
A very good Dash-8 from flightsim .com is Milton Shupe's ...... dash7pkg9.zip .................
Dan-Air unfortunately lost a Budgie on t/o from Rwy 27 . If memory serves , an internal elevator control lock did not retract and thus they could not rotate , overran into the sea defences on threshold of Rwy 09 . The 'dragons teeth' took out the belly allowing the sea to enter rapidly . Sadly there was loss of life .

rgds dave f .

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Dfarrow,

Thanks for more information!!

Tonight is second episode of Shetland tv mystery series where view of EGPB Sumburgh airport will likely to be shown again!!! That is at 9 pm EST on PBS station in America for all of you American viewers!

Regards,

Aharon

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Don't know if you've looked at this http://www.scotflightscenery.com/ImageC ... ?Code=EGPB

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks, Brain

Do not know if it is freeware or payware. If it is the former, I wish I can use it but do not want to use too many Scottish airports and I am afraid that scenery with too many Scottish airports will come into conflict with amazing payware UK2000 EGPH Edinburgh scenery that I have!!

I am afraid I might wind up buying OXYB Scotland and OXYB EGPB Sumburgh sceneries in hope they can run in my simple laptop!!!! Or not!!

Maybe I can create clever screenshots of planes at FSX default EGPB to avoid bland and boring buildings to fool viewers? Maybe fog to cover up buildings. 8) 8) :shhh: :shhh: *-) *-) :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aharon..

Scotflight is payware.. ORBX is payware and I'm sure that ORBX Sumburgh (should one exist) will also be payware. It depends what you want out of Scotland ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!