adding the default Cessna radio/autopilot stack

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

adding the default Cessna radio/autopilot stack

Post by 233SQN »

Can someone remind me how to add the default Cessna radio/autopilot stack to a model that doesn’t have it?
Thanks

Colin Bear

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: adding the default Cessna radio/autopilot stack

Post by Tako_Kichi »

If there is no existing radio stack then proceed as follows:

1. Open the C172 panel.cfg file and the panel.cfg file of the target aircraft in Notepad.

2. Copy the 'Window01=Radio Stack' line from the C172 panel.cfg file and paste it into the target panel.cfg file in the [Window Titles] section.

3. Copy the entire [Window01] section from the C172 panel.cfg file and paste it into the target panel.cfg file. Most would post it immediately after the [Window00] section but it can be anywhere (other than within an existing [WindowXX] section).

4. Save the changes and test.

If there is an already existing radio section that you just want to replace then follow steps 3 and 4 above but make sure that the 'WindowXX' in the 'WindowXX=Radio Stack' entry matches the [WindowXX] header in the new section you paste in. Note to that the numbers in the various 'XX' sections must match (i.e. if it says 'Window01=Radio Stack' at the top then you must make sure the pasted section has the header '[Window01]').

Hope that helps.
Larry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Good instructions, just make sure when you paste the new section in the WindowXX number you insert must be unique, if you are not removing anything and the last value in the original file is Window05=xxxx then insert the new section as Window06
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

In addition to all of the above be aware that it is common practice to make the radio stack [Window01] and the GPS [Window02]. These are then activated by the <SHIFT+2> and <SHIFT+3> keyboard commands respectively.

This is important if you have assigned key commands to your stick/yoke to pop up the required windows.

Whenever I install a new aircraft one of the first things I check is the pop up window assignments and then modify them if they are different to the 'standard' as I do use buttons on my stick to activate the windows.
Larry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Thank you :thumbsup:
Thanks

Colin Bear

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I have just used this mod to add the Cessna radio/autopilot stack to the new BlackBox SA Bulldog. Everything appears ok and the autopilot pop up appears and Alt and Hdg can be set.... but the aircraft doesn't fly to the settings and does it's own thing.

Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

thx
Thanks

Colin Bear

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Possibly the autoipilot section missing or disabled in the aircraft cfg

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

There is an autopilot section in the aircraft.cfg file, that may need to be turned on
Joe Cusick,

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Just checked and it's there and set to 1.

When autopilot is engaged, something is happening.... just not what is set in the autopilot!! The rate of climb is off the clock and the aircraft won't maintain a heading or role as per stick input, so something is happening. Disengage AP and all is fine again.

At the same time installed the GPS and that is working fine.
Thanks

Colin Bear

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I don't the bulldog (yet) so can't say for sure, since the aircraft.cfg already had autopilot turned on, its likely that the bulldog already has a custom autopilot which is conflicting with the cessna autopilot. I had a simular problem with the JF Electra, which has the sperry autopilot built into the model, only the autopilot in my external saitek multi panel module was able to override it.
Joe Cusick,