Hello...again

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Hello...again

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi.

This is my first post here in years. Let me explain why...

About 3 years ago, my PC broke. It never ran FSX or P3D particularly well anyway, and since we were about to relocate at the time I left it broken.

Now, I'm typing from a BRAND NEW computer, which should eat FSX. Hopefully. :dunno:

My question is, what software everyone using nowadays? I think the early versions of P3D were out when I last flew, but there wasn't much improvement over FSX. Is P3D now the best program to use? (Presumably on an academic licence?) How compatible is it with DM's models? DM's Trident is what I'm longing to fly.

Thanks,

James

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Hello...again

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Hi James

Great to hear from you again.
My personal set up uses P3D, along with Active Sky Next (ASN), for real world weather and the indispensable FSUIPC.
Lockheed Martin have made significant changes to P3D, so that a lot of the processing has been transferred from the processor to the graphics card (in the same way that many PC games work today). On my ageing system (Core I7 920 ((2.67GHz, OC to 3.8GHz, 6GB RAM, NVIDEA GTX 970 4GB)), I get an amazingly smooth simulation. Heavy AI or clouds will still have a significant effect, though.
Unfortunately, aircraft designed for FS9 now have major problems in P3D, in that 'clickspots' in the VC no longer work.
If, as you say, you want to use DM's aircraft then I would advise sticking with FSX (ASN and FSUIPC are compatible with this platform).
An alternative, is FSX-SE (Steam Edition). Basically, Microsoft sold FSX to Dovetail games and this is now marketed through Steam. I believe that some improvements have been made, but anything compatible with FSX should work with FSX-SE.
Dovetail games have a new flight simulator due for release later this year. I can only assume that it's based on FSX, but what it's backward compatibility will be is anyone's guess.

What are your new PC's specs ?

Whatever your choice, happy simming :thumbsup:

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Hi James, I have to agree with Kevin. I used P3D with ASN and find it a definite improvement over FSX but many aircraft don't work in it properly.
FSX-Steam is an only slightly modified version of FSX-Acceleration, they compiled it with a newer version of Visual Studio and fixed some stability bugs, but don't expect any changes beyond that.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi James and welcome back, I have Orbx England,Wales, Scotland, Global, PNW, Pacific Fjords and Northern Rockies.
https://fullterrain.com/

You should also consider having the new Devon/Dove from Just Flight for your hanger!

http://justflight.com/product/dh104-dove-and-devon

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi guys.

I've got the latest P3D installed now. Couldn't find my FSX disk, and got impatient! It will turn up eventually...

OrbX looks interesting! Downloading now.

All I need now is time!

Thanks for the recommendations.

James