CBFS DH98 Mosquito B.MkIV

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

pontiusthepilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

CBFS DH98 Mosquito B.MkIV

Post by pontiusthepilot »

Hi All.

I currently run both FSX Acceleration for DX9 aircraft and FSX Steam for DX10. Both use ORBX Scenery.

I'm having so much difficulty installing ORBX scenery into a dual installation that I've decided that I'm going to have to uninstall FSX Acceleration and stick with FSX Steam for DX10 and FS9 for DX9.

The only problem is the CBFS DH98 Mosquito B.MkIV. As far as I know, this won't work in FS9, but the cockpit glass goes cloudy in FSX Steam if I use DX10.

Is this clouding something a novice like myself could easilly fix?

Regards.
Pontius.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: CBFS DH98 Mosquito B.MkIV

Post by DaveG »

The Mosquito definitely won't work in FS9. There shouldn't be a problem with it in FSX DX10 as I used to use that myself and never had an issue, but that was FSX Acc, rather than FSX Steam. I don't have FSX installed any more so I can't be much help.
Dave G.

pontiusthepilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

I'll give it another go when I've got my system sorted out.

I've tried some demos of payware alternatives. They all seem easy to fly and all of them noticeably easier than the CBFS version.

I've read around a bit about WWII aircraft and from what I've been able to gather, the Mosquito could be a bit of a handful. To me this raises a question mark over the flight modelling of the payware alternatives.

I have a sort of gut feeling that the CBFS version may be the closer to reality. So i don't want to be without it if I can avoid it.

Regards.
Pontius.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

G'day Pontius, :hello:
Most WWll aircraft were a handful, simply because they were the most agile and powerful that the designers could come up with.
I have read of comparing touring aircraft of the period to combat aircraft as like your ordinary road car vs. a Formula 1 machine. A whole new world of power whose management has to be learnt.
I would agree that any sim model that is a piece of cake to fly, is missing the point.
The fact that they were the epitome of propellor driven aircraft is what attracts me to them.
Not that I'm a good pilot, I just appreciate their representation of the 1940s cutting edge.

You write of multiple installs of ORBX.
Have you tried pointing the second sim back to where ORBX is initially installed?
I used to have a library of scenery which could be accessed by whichever FS version I was using at the time.
Now I'm only running FSX, so it doesn't matter.

Can't help with cloudy perspex; I've seen odd references, but it's out of my league.

ATB

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've just installed FSX-SE on my laptop & switched it to DX10 mode. The Mosquito glass displays correctly here, so I can't be much help, sorry. :dunno:
Dave G.

pontiusthepilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Ok.

So I've just reinstalled the Mossie and...

... well, my ground crew must be some jolly good chaps, because they've put some spit and polish on the glass and now it's as good as new!

My guess is that I've also installed a later version of Steve's DX10 fixer with up to date shaders.

Problem solved.

Thanks.
Pontius