I need a spot of advice on cameras

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

pontiusthepilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

I need a spot of advice on cameras

Post by pontiusthepilot »

Hi All.

I've recently had to re install FSX Steam Edition. I've got the installers for all the software I use with it except for EzCamViews which has gone missing. Unfortunately, it seems that EzCamViews is no longer available, so I've had to set about setting up all my virtual cockpits in their respective aircraft.cfg files.

The question I have is: Can I override the definition of the Virtual Cockpit camera for any specific aircraft without creating a separate camera? And if so how do I do it?

Thanks.
Pontius.

P.s. If anyone knows where to get EzCamViews, or another freeware/low cost camera manager for FSX, please let me know.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: I need a spot of advice on cameras

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Are you (1) trying to adjust the initial viewpoint on VC load or (2) are you trying to set up a completely new view?

If (1) then you need to adjust the values in the 'eyepoint=' line listed under [views] in the aircraft.cfg file.

If (2) then you would need to create a new camera section (or edit an existing one). The camera definition section of the SDK can be found online here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/cc526984.aspx (this is the ESP SDK but it's identical to the FSX SDK).

Note:

1) Standard protocol is to number the definition block as .0X for an outside camera and .00X for a VC camera (i.e. [CameraDefinition.01] for an outside view or [CameraDefinition.001] for a VC view.

2) Every camera definition must have a unique GUID identifier. There is a tool in the SDK to generate GUIDs but there is an online GUID generator that I use as it allows me to generate several hundred at a time which I then store in a text file ready for use when I need them. The online site can be found here https://www.guidgenerator.com/online-gu ... rator.aspx . NOTE: For camera definitions you will need to check the '{ } Braces' and 'Hyphens' boxes as camera definition GUIDs require both (other GUID usage usually does not need the '{ }' braces).

Hope that helps.
Larry

pontiusthepilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: I need a spot of advice on cameras

Post by pontiusthepilot »

Thanks Larry.

I've done some searching on line and it seems I will have to go for option 2. I don't want to. Ideally, I would want the main flying panel to be the virtual cockpit. but on some aircraft I want to pitch the pilot's line of vision downward slightly and unfortunately, there's no Pbh in the views section.

Ah well....
Pontius.