AI Traffic - Problem With Direction Of Taxi

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

AI Traffic - Problem With Direction Of Taxi

Post by PeteP »

I've added some AI traffic to nearby airfields in Tangmere's Lightning simulator (P3D v2.5) but I'm having a problem with the taxi routes at Lee on Solent and Thorney Island.

To take, Lee as an example, I loaded the stock airport into ADE and added parking on the east side and taxi routes to and from the active runway (23) - after clearing a few orphan links ADE's error checker reported that all was properly connected and, indeed, it all works but not in the way I expected. Instead of turning right onto the taxiway to go the 300 yards or so to the holding point of 23, they all turn left and backtrack 05 - see the diagrams below.

What they do:

What I want them to do:

I'm probably missing something very obvious but any thoughts on how I can get them to turn right and follow the shortest route to the runway?

Pete

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: AI Traffic - Problem With Direction Of Taxi

Post by emfrat »

Hello Pete -
I set up an Edwardian Airshow on the lawn of a stately home in my UKVFR, in FS9.1, and ran into the same sort of problem.
After a lot of fiddling, I concluded that T-Tools was measuring 'distance' as the number of nodes between the parking spots and the start points. By adding some redundant ones to the 'wrong' taxiway route, I got them all going where I wanted.
Just to simplify things, I had three runway tracks within one visible runway. 'A' was normal, 'B" was take-off only and could only be reached from the parking, which in turn could only be reached from 'C" .
By the time the last one was taking off, the first away had done a few T&Gs and was landing and the in-between ones were still flying their T&G circuits, so it developed into some great parallel action :lol:

ATB, MikeW

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Mike. I added multiple nodes to the southern section of the taxiway but, unfortunately, the little devils still turned left off the apron and went the long way round via 05.

Wondering what to do next, I thought I'd see if I could get them to take off downwind on 05 as they were so determined to go there - lack of realism didn't bother me as my priority was to get them airborne as soon as possible so that they were in the air when the Lightning arrived in the vicinity from Tangmere - so I closed 23 to landings and take-offs and opened 05 for both and guess what happened. They all now turn right off the apron and taxi to 23 from where they all depart! Murphy's Law in action, I guess. :dunno:

I've no idea why this works and, In the long run, I'd like to understand it so I don't have this messing around when I put AI on other local airfields but, for the moment, I'm just pleased that it's doing what I want. Now for Thorney Island.

Pete

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Glad you got it sorted, Pete. I had one runway closed for landing and another closed for take-off. The third one was normal. I also had the parking organised for no pushbacks. Looking at it last night, it seems I have not touched it since 2013, at which time I must have fixed it worse, because there seemed to be three of everything, and ATC managed to create an Airprox :lol: Of course 2013 would have been XP3 days, and this box is Win7. :dunno:
EDIT: Also, I used AFCAD 2.21, and I think ADE does a couple of things differently.
ATB
MikeW