New Forum Server

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: New Forum Server

Post by DaveB »

I'm on the Windows Phone now and its actually much better than it was. Perhaps that's the reasoning behind the new format.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Looks fine on my iPhone. Nothings cut off. The layout is slightly different Compared to the PC.
Dave G.

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

I'm unable to access the site using firefox, my primary browser on my desktop win 10. Seems fine using edge on my win 10 machine and chrome on my iPad. Don't have chrome on desktop. All on same home wireless network.

Using Firefox on win 10, browser returns nothing or the last site I was on.

Hy

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Odd, I'm using Firefox in Win7 with no problems. :agree:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

A couple of things, its a new server, and its also now SSL. I have a forced permanent redirect from HTTP to HTTPS so it may be that Firefox isn't picking this up correctly on your machine. Its working fine on mine. I'd suggest typing the url in as :- https://cbfsim.co.uk and clicking on the forum button, then update your bookmarks.

WRT the earlier comment about the site on phones etc, almost al new websites (phpBB included) are now what's known as a responsive website, basically, the site adapts automatically to the screen size of the client device. Again, its been extensively tested on a myriad of devices (including iPhones, iPads, Kindles, Android phones, Windows Phones, and with a variety of browsers. The lout dynamically changes, but the conent is all there, but you may find the layout is subtly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

As you can see from the attached screenshot from my phone, the layout is different to the desktop site, but its all there.
wp_ss_20170512_0001.png
(91.34 KiB) Downloaded 1543 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. that's exactly how it looks on my Nokia. Kinda cool and easier to read than the old version. Will check on my tablet (win10) :)

EDIT: Tried it on the tablet (11.1") in landscape and I see a 7mm border on either side.. much like the pc but with a much smaller border. Works for me ;)

EDIT#2.. Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I usually browse (IE) in a window.. that is, not full screen. I've just tried going full screen and the forum page remains the same size (29.3cm +/-). I just get a bigger border on either side.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Herkpilot1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot1 »

Solved my access issue on Firefox (actually, SeaMonkey, the all in one version of Firefox). It was an operator error. I failed to update to latest version (2.40 to 2.46), all is now well.

Hy

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Forum is fine, but still no content on VA home page.

CBFSIM home page is good, VA home page only has headline banner.

Ady
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

As far as the VA is concerned, it won't migrate.. despite Ben's best efforts so it remains WIP for now.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

It's looking good here! One little thing: the logo in the forum (top left) is distinctly smaller in this version of phpBB and if you don't resize the image used for this, only a quarter of it shows (which is what I'm seeing now).
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!