Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Sad News

Post by simondix »

Just a word of advice. All those attending avoid the M5 at Birmingham due to the elevated section being restricted either direction. Took a friend of mine 4 hours to do a 90 minute trip today.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Anders Samuelsson
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Anders Samuelsson »

I am so sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with his family and friends. I will surely miss him!
take-care
Andy

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I was hoping somebody had a copy of that photo from Coventry, I have it somewhere on an old backup HD but can't easily lay my hands on it. My little avatar photo is (I think) from that day too, I remember it being captioned as me attempting to steal the Prentice. Pretty sure Ben was in the back! Seem to remember we had hoped to fly in the Devon, but she was U/S.

Ben has summed Dave up perfectly and with hindsight, I wish we had attempted to meet up as a group a little more. Flightsimming is and was (for some of us) a rather solitary hobby, with contact being restricted to forums like this.

We had two get togethers that I recall as a group, with Rick, Dave B and Dave G, Ben etc. the one in the photo and one at a FS event at Shoreham. Also many of the gurus here were involved in the original FS2004 simulator project for Tangmere Museum in 2004. I remember overseeing the great Neville Duke flying Dave G's Hunter WB188 model the day the Sims were premiered. They are still going BTW, but (aircraft excepted) look a little long in the tooth. I think Dave was also involved with some of the Portsmouth and RN scenery we use on our main SIM, the Lightning Expecience. I'll ask Pete P when I next see him, I know he corresponded with Dave for advice on scenery and possibly AI info.

Sorry, got into a nostalgic ramble 8)
ATB Trev

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Only came on the news yesterday . Shocked and saddened like everyone , and astounded that he was posting the day before passing on . Only knew Dave through the forum , always helpful and encouraging [ 'tho I never got into driving ships ] . A bit more contact when Ian went but that was it . Now I feel that I've lost a friend .
Condolences to his family . Cannot make the funeral as working and other instructors on leave . But given half decent weather I'll find blue sky and hopefully , a Royal Navy ship to say cheerio by [ 'tho it might have to be RFA ] .

Blue skies and fair winds .

Brgds dave f .

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

To all of the CBFS friends-

We would like to thank you all so much for the heartfelt messages on the forum. They have brought great comfort and it has meant so much to us knowing that you saw him as we did- a wonderful gentleman, our rock and best friend. He would have been so humbled by all your kind words and sentiments, also completely embarrassed by being the centre of attention.

David loved his Flight Sim and all that went with it. Your kind suggestions for a tribute, to donate to his favoured restoration project is something we both think is perfect. As for recognising each other, Helen had some amusing ideas but a recent post relating to black, red and white ribbons was very touching. The Superb was a particularly special aircraft to David.

To confirm for all of those who would like to attend, the funeral will be on Thursday 31st August at 1030am.
Streetly Crematorium
296 Little Hardwick Rd
Walsall
WS9 0SG

Afterwards, you are welcome to join us at the wake to share stories about our unique and wonderful David.
Pelsall Social Club
Norton Road
Pelsall
WS3 4NX

P.S - I have voted on behalf of my Dad on the poll, and he WILL be attending the Funeral... Much to his dismay.
ATB
Helen B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Hello Helen. :hello: Thank you so much for posting on the forum. I'm so glad that you and your Mother were comforted by our posts. Your Father meant so much to so many people in the flightsim world. He was a true friend to all of us. :) All my best to you and your Mother. We're heartbroken here at CBFS and can only imagine the pain you and your Mother are going through. :(

Deepest sympathies,
Brian Higinbotham

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Helen, Brian has expressed perfectly how we all feel. It's pleasing to know that our posts give you both some comfort at this time. As was mentioned by Trev, flight sim is a somewhat solitary hobby and your Dad was the focal point for a group of virtual friends many of whom have not met each other. Very best wishes to you and your mum. :hello: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hello Helen,

Brian and Eric have expressed perfectly what we all feel. I don't know whether you've been shown this; it's the announcement of David's passing on another forum:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... 2-Sad-news

The outpouring of grief there, and here at CBFS, is testament to the very high regard in which David was held, right around the world. I never met him in person, but as with everyone here, I considered him a friend. You, your family and his vast circle of friends have lost someone very special.

Two weeks of appointments with the osteopath prevent me from attending the funeral, but I shall be thinking of you all on the day. I hope it goes well, and that you find solace and comfort in it. Goodness knows, we are hurting here, alongside you. :'(

Paul Kirkland

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Helen & Alison, thank you for your post.
David was very much the center of the community here. Always ready to help, nothing was too much trouble.
All our thoughts are with you.

Dave Garwood.
Dave G.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Helen,

The above really does some up the feelings of people who knew and mostly did not meet him.

PS. Loved the PS.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman