Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Sad News

Post by spatialpro »

Made it home after a very emotional day.

It was a good send off for DaveB. I'm immensely proud and very grateful to Ben Watson for the tribute he gave on behalf of us flight simmers during the ceremony. I was very touched that Alison, Helen and BenW all made mention of the legions of other simmers both in the UK and globally who knew DaveB and will be forever grateful for his great contribution to our pastime and for being such a gentleman. I freely admit to shedding many tears. Other things which really touched me were the hymn For those in peril on the sea, the White Ensign on Dave's coffin and Rod's Stewart's Sailing playing at the end, all given Dave's RN service and interest in all things Fly Navy. It was also extremely good of DaveM to bring along a 2004 issue of PC Pilot featuring none other than DaveB flying in the VC10 simulator, and a real VC10, with DaveM and Tonkes, which was widely appreciated at the wake.

Despite the circumstances it was good to meet Alison, Helen and the CBFSimmers DaveM, DaveG, Simon, BenW and BenH

Andy Ford
Last edited by spatialpro on 01 Sep 2017, 10:14, edited 2 times in total.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

TobyV wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 20:38
I've seen a couple of pictures of the flowers in the form of a Naval Ensign and as an anchor. Looks like a it was good tribute to Dave.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I thought those unable to attend might also appreciate the Order of Service from today (click to access larger versions)...

Andy

Image Image Image

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Thanks Andy, wow what a send off, to me that service was perfect!.

I had ample time to reflect today and even had a chat with the powers above, I've been at sea since early this morning, alone and very isolated, with 10 miles left to run back to port a North East squall blew in, not a place to be in a 20' open boat riding angry swells of 8 ft+, at times it got very nasty but with the throttle way back and creeping along at a snails pace I made it home, Dave was in my thoughts all the way and I'm thinking: "Yeah you would love this you old bugger!!"

Robbie

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I think 'Sea Fever' by John Masefield is a fantastic poem and very apt. The hymns were well chosen. It was good to meet DG,DM, the Bens and Andy. Well done Ben for the kind words he said about Dave it must have been difficult. Sorry I could not go to the refreshments afterwards as I would have liked to talk more and also to Dave's family. Perhaps may see you at the Flightsim show in October.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Evening all, sorry I'm late to this, but didn't get home until just after 9.

It was a really fitting send off. He'd have hid in the corner with a pint and a raised eyebrow 😂 He never much liked attention or praise. It's funny how the words and phrases used in the comments here, were also used by Alison and Helen in their Eulogies. Things that we saw in him in this virtual world, are just the same as every other facet of his life; from the Navy, Bikes, Photography, and his family. I was particularly touched by Helens words about her Dad. I guess having two girls of my own it struck a cord. He made time for everyone; which is nothing short of a miracle given the time he spent here.

Great to meet Andy, Ben H and Simon for the first time. And great to see DM and DG for the first time in years.

Thanks for all the fish 🍻
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TobyV wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:39
A silly thought just occurred to me. It was Dave who must have checked every day to see if it was anyone's birthday, and if so, posted a thread wishing them a happy birthday. It's little things like that in life which sometimes are the most uplifting.
I'm late as ever... I'd only been into E&S in the last week or two and completely missed the awful news. Coincidentally I came on this evening with a smile thinking that DaveB would be sending his annual congratulations on managing another year later this morning.

But what terrible news. I don't post as often as I used to, but I always enjoyed exchanging the occasional "catch up" message with Dave. My one regret is I was never able to get to his pub before he moved up to the West Midlands.

RIP Dave
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Wonderful and fully deserved tributes and a wonderful send off.

I did as I said and remembered Dave during our Toast to "Absent Comapnions" at 21.00 during the meeting.

Hope you found you father is OK Tony.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Thank you to all who attended, for the reviews, photos and order of service.
It's good to know that Dave received the send off that he deserved, although at far too young an age.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Well said, Kevin. Yes, thank you everyone for your comments/observations regarding yesterday's service. These past two weeks have sure been painful ones, haven't they? :'( CBFS won't be the same without our dear friend. But in a way Dave will always be with us...he said so himself. ;)

Brian