Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Sad News

Post by DaveG »

Good idea Ben. I can imagine Dave's reaction to that. :lol:
I think we need a "raised eyebrow" smilie. :lol:
Dave G.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

:lol: :lol: True.

Brian

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

TobyV wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 21:19
I never made it to his pub either, I'm sure it would have been a great place for a quiet pint of ale.
So it wasn't just me. Years ago when I first had a phone with navigation on it (an old Nokia) I programmed The Bull into it, thinking I'd drop by one time. I now use this same navigation app on an iPhone and that waypoint somehow survived and was still present up to a few months ago when I figured I might as well remove it as Dave had been living further north for quite some time by then.

Thanks for letting us know how the service went, I appreciate it. I've raised a glass to Dave on the day but that was unfortunately all I could do. It would be good to have something here to remember him by, a montage of photos would be good. Even though we may know a lot about each other through these forums we don't tend to see many photos with people on it (as well as aeroplanes). I dug out my own copy of the 2004 PC Pilot that David Maltby took along to the service, just to remember that great story and have a look at those photos again. It was telling that Dave kept that image as his avatar ever since.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Cees Donker
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Cees Donker »

Gentlemen,

I'd appreciate to read the mentioned article of PC pilot 2004. Could that be placed here in this thread? Or perhaps there's another way of getting it?

Thank you.

Cees

Ben Hartmann
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ben Hartmann »

Just noticed the revised home page with the link to this column! What a beautiful sentiment, be sure to click Dave! I'm sure he'd make much use of this smiley *-) if he saw it :lol: :lol:

Best Rgds

Ben
I was a repaint artist for UKMIL, HJG, CBFSim VA and CBFiles 2004-2012.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Just noticed it too. Lovely stuff - I'm sure he'll be happy with that. :thumbsup:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Cees,

I'm, not sure how we'd do it. It would need an A3 scanner as its done over several pages in the magazine. I don't have a copy myself, but if anyone can scan it A3 in JPG format, I'm sure we could put it up. David Maltby had two issues with him, both from 2004. One had all of Ricks stuff, and the other had DM's VC10 with DaveB in the simulator at Brize.Its really hard to believe it was 13 years ago. Some other names that popped up when we were reminiscing, Henk Hugo and SavM. Does anyone else remember Dave's MikeFoxtrot username from the original forum? MF was a European 1-11. 😊
Cees Donker wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 07:26
Gentlemen,

I'd appreciate to read the mentioned article of PC pilot 2004. Could that be placed here in this thread? Or perhaps there's another way of getting it?

Thank you.

Cees
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I have a good A3 scanner if that helps? It can also do good OCR and PDF too. I don't think I've got the particular issue in question tho (frustratingly I have others from 2004!).

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've contacted PC Pilot to see if they can help, as the back issues on their site only go back to October 2004. I'll keep you posted.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Here is the result of my best efforts in Photoshop with a photo from the wake (again, click to enlarge via Flickr):

Sharing a love of all things RN means my favorite is DaveB on the port bridge wing of Fightin' Fifty-Seven (i.e. Leander class Frigate HMS Andromeda F57), which IIRC was the last warship he served on. The photo is about 1/3 and 1/3 from right, with the Sea Wolf launcher in the background. Dave worked in the Communications Branch of the RN. The commando carrier with Wessex on the deck, bottom left, is HMS Hermes in the 1970s (pre SHAR and ski jump), which I embarrassingly miss-identified as HMS Albion on the day! Dave wouldn't have been very happy! ;) It looks like he went on a deployment to Norway with her (Exercise Clockwork I presume), given the snow capped mountains?

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro