Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Sad News

Post by TSR2 »

:welldone:
Brilliant job Andy! That's come up really well
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

IIRC it was the Nov/Dec 2004 edition (photo of DaveM's copy below)???

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Nope, it seems I was wrong! By the look of the cover (i.e. Vickers VC-10) it was actually July/August 2004!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

TSR2 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 13:05
I've contacted PC Pilot to see if they can help
Any chance of an Obituary in the next issue too? Many simmers have sadly come and gone over the last decade+, but DaveB was very widely known and loved. Happy to help if needed.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'll see what they say.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I'll see if I can do some scanning, but I've also contacted Tonks to see if I can perhaps put something about that day at Brize on my site.

Edit: The article is in the Nov/Dec 2004 issue of PC Pilot, the mention of a VC10 on the other cover refers to the other (commercial) Flightsim VC10 that was released around that time.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Here you go: http://www.VC10.net/Files/BrizeVisit_ex ... educed.pdf

Can I ask you guys not to repost this link to other forums? I don't like putting copyrighted stuff on the internet like this but I'll try to get the article up on my site in another form at a later stage.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Airtrooper wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 13:11
Here is the result of my best efforts in Photoshop with a photo from the wake (again, click to enlarge via Flickr):

Sharing a love of all things RN means my favorite is DaveB on the port bridge wing of Fightin' Fifty-Seven (i.e. Leander class Frigate HMS Andromeda F57), which IIRC was the last warship he served on. The photo is about 1/3 and 1/3 from right, with the Sea Wolf launcher in the background. Dave worked in the Communications Branch of the RN. The commando carrier with Wessex on the deck, bottom left, is HMS Hermes in the 1970s (pre SHAR and ski jump), which I embarrassingly miss-identified as HMS Albion on the day! Dave wouldn't have been very happy! ;) It looks like he went on a deployment to Norway with her (Exercise Clockwork I presume), given the snow capped mountains?
Thanks for that; I know from my pm exchanges he was stuck in the bunker at Northwood during Falklands escapade;
whereas I (RAF) was busy playing with Royal Navy Sea Harriers :) here was one of his replies....slightly edited for public forum
remember the loss of the Chinook/s off Conveyor was a massive blow. Couldn't remember what happened to the Harriers. Glad your hard work didn't end up at the bottom of the ogin ;)

You probably know this but I was at the submarine comms place down in the depths at Northwood throughout the conflict. It very quickly got to a point where none of us wanted to go home on our day's off because at least while at work.. we knew exactly what was happening down there and didn't have to watch that poor bloke from the Ministry they wheeled out to be the 'Public Face' on the box. I was on watch when we sent the signal to Conqueror to sink the Belgrano and also, when she sent the 'Sunk' signal. Little did we know what s**t would hit the fan after that but it did the job of keeping the Argie Navy out of the picture ;)

ttfn

Pete

EDIt: PS: Archer that /\ was quick .. .. I'd totally forgotten it was written by Tonks.
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for posting the montage Andy. Nice job. :thumbsup:
Thanks also to Archer for the mag scan and Pete for that post. :)
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

many thanks for posting the pictures of Dave and also of the magazine.

The November/December edition of PC Pilot certainly brought back memories, when at work one of my colleagues who was interested in though never had FS2004 on his computer told me of that issue and mentioned that there were some great free ware aircraft on a disc so off I trotted to Ruddocks and bought the issue.

Got home and (if memory serves me right) the BAC1-11 and the (at the time) the uncompleted Trident was on the disc, think also the Comet may have been also but cannot for the life of me remember if the VC10 was out then. It wasn't until the following year on May 14th 2005 that I actually joined this Forum and well remember the friendly greeting that Dave gave me in his response to my post on how brilliant these aircraft are and finished with keep a look-out here as we have many other aircraft to be released in the coming year. I could not believed then that the DM Collection was free-ware due to the high standard build quality of these fine classic aircraft and also but not forgetting the likes of Ricks' famous Vanguard (which was a favourite of Daves') and of course the Viscount though it did not stop there as we all know.

Had it not been for PC Pilot then I doubt whether I would have come across CBFS for a good while, One point of interest is that of Dave Maltby and the Trident, again from memory I seem to recall that in the interview Dave had stressed that he was not at all interested in this aircraft but after researching about it and the more he learn't about the aircraft he admitted that it soon became one of his favourite projects.

Maybe I should have written without prejudice at the top of that last paragraph in case I got it all wrong about Daves' thoughts and get a letter from him with intent!! :hide: :lol: :lol:

Will now have to wait until that piece is reproduced (hopefully).

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.