Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Sad News

Post by FlyTexas »

Awwww, what a handsome little guy. :) Ok Helen, quick question...did your Dad spoil him rotten when they were together? :lol: My Dad (ex US Navy) spoiled his grand kids something fierce. Those little tykes got away with murder compared to me and my siblings when we were little. :lol:

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

FlyTexas wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 00:10
Awwww, what a handsome little guy. :) Ok Helen, quick question...did your Dad spoil him rotten when they were together? :lol: My Dad (ex US Navy) spoiled his grand kids something fierce. Those little tykes got away with murder compared to me and my siblings when we were little. :lol:

Brian
Hello Brian,

In a word, yes. He often joked about being dragged shopping for the kids but as soon as any of us saw anything we liked it went in the basket. Then when we got home he was so indulgent of their demands. Emily is a mini-me but had him wrapped around her little finger. He'd play football with her, play guitar to her, share his desserts with her, build Lego and have a tea party when he was told to do so. Watching him playing with my children was being able to relive how he played with me as a tot. That was truly the greatest feeling in the world.

Samuel enjoyed the pipe and I found it funny until he scraped out some old burnt tobacco and ate it :S !!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, everyone. I really appreciate it. I know how busy you all are and this forum may be one of the things you choose to spend your limited free time on. Hopefully I will post something useful in the future..

ATB chaps,
Mini-DaveB
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Hello Helen. Your Dad was the only person from our virtual world that I actually met. I live very close to Brooklands, and met him there on several occasions when he gladly and proudly showed me around.

I learned of his Eric Clapton interest, and offered to take him to Ripley to see the cottage where he was born, the bus shelter where he played guitar, much to the annoyance of the locals, and the grave of Conor in St Mary Magdalen churchyard. Before we could arrange it, he moved away and didn't get back to Brooklands unfortunately.

My family lived just down the road from Rose Clapp, who Eric believed was his mother, but was in fact his grandmother. All this is well documented of course. We went to the same school, St. Bede's, although I was a few years ahead, but my sister was in the same class as him.

Also, a girl that was in my class at school, married a lovely chap named John Weller from the next village, and their son is Paul Weller, who you may have heard of?

Apologies for waffling on.

Dennis.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I don't log in that often these days, having grown tired of Flight Sims inaccuracies and graphics engine so when I saw the title 'Sad News', I though an aircraft had gotten the chop or something but reading the opening lines lead to an overwhelming sinking feeling.

I'm glad that photo taken at Coventry when we all flew on the Twin Pin has again seen the light of day. I'm standing next to Dave and remember that day well. In fact the one thing I always recall was oil trickling over the engine cowling in flight... something that didn't bother me in the slightest. Not sure I'd feel the same on a modern airliner!

Despite me not being overly active on the forum these days, Dave always ensured I got an annual birthday mention and that in itself made me still feel welcome.
CBFS is a kind of home to us all and I know for sure that the impact Dave had on us both as individuals and as a community, won't be forgotten.

Thanks for making this forum what it is Dave! :cheers:

A real sad time :(

Chris
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

AlisonB
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by AlisonB »

hello Chaps
just a quick post to let you know, that I have got all of the collections together for David, I have sent a total of £450.00
to Paul Essex at Brooklands to go towards the Vanguard paint fund. He has :-O used gift aid to pay it to the account and it means nearly £600 has gone into the fund.
Paul sent me the address for the Website which Dave will get a mention in , _www.vickers-vanguard-merchantman.com .
they have also had his name added to their memorial seat. and he is there in brass for all to see. If I can master the computer I will send the picture that Paul sent to me.

thank you all for you continued kindness. we all miss him so very muchhttps://cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/posting.php?f=6&mode=reply&t=30125&sid=54ca670bcab58857c0e0c59fe33b586b#

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Looking forward to seeing the picture, Alison. :)

Brian

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

FlyTexas wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 09:19
Looking forward to seeing the picture, Alison. :)

Brian
Likewise Alison, and I sure Dave would have agreed, nay insisted on the donation.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I'll call in to see it Alison. I'll take some pictures.

Den.
Last edited by 511Flyer on 04 Oct 2017, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Filonian wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 12:48

Likewise Alison, and I sure Dave would have agreed, nay insisted on the donation.

Graham
Shamelessly :agree:
:lol:

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I've been in touch with the team at Brooklands, and Paul has sent me some pictures. Also been invited to "come on board and make myself known" I will get there in the very near future.

I know that Alison has received some pictures, and they may be the same as these. However, I have taken the liberty of posting them for all to see.

Den.