Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Re: Sad News

Post by mgchristy »

It's still shocking to me that Dave is gone, even after one year. I'll definitely have a drink in his honor this weekend. Gone, but never forgotten...
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, I have many great memories of Dave.

I agree Graham, I will never forget her. I talk to Jen all of the time, a bit like Jack in New Tricks.
George, absolutely no apologies necessary. I'm so sorry to hear of your recent loss. As Graham aptly stated, there is consolation to be found in sharing grief, and I think we all occasionally talk to loved ones who've departed - I know I catch myself doing the same with my grandparents who've been gone for 20 years now.

I hope this doesn't seem trite, but the closing sentiments in this famous farewell letter have always provided comfort in my life when I've dealt with loss: "...think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again..."

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/civil-war/w ... ou-letter/
Mark

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Sorry to hear of your wife's passing George. I can't imagine the pain that is to lose someone so close.

This past year seems to have had a lot of loss for the world as a whole. We've lost many of the sounds of our youth (even for me who heard those sounds many years after they were initially made), many of the role models we looked up to, and many of those we loved. I know much of it is simply the plodding on of time and the inevitable, but it still doesn't change the sadness each time one moves on.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

George, just read of your loss and so very sorry to hear of it. Nothing that I can say that hasn't already been written but hope that in time the pain of losing your wife eases.

Kindest regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

George and Graham, belated condolences as I know how you feel. They say time heals but my wife passed away in 2002 and I still miss her. I remember something the chaplain told me at the hospice center and I adapted that for my wife's eulogy: "I pictured myself standing on a lonely beach, watching a ship slowly sail into the golden glow of sunset. As it disappeared over the horizon, my heart was full of sadness. Yet I was comforted, because somewhere across that ocean, there was another shore, with a multitude waiting for that ship with great joy and anticipation"

Nigel²

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Very sorry to read of both of your losses. I’m fortunate that so far I still have my wife. I’m not sure how I would deal with it should I outlive her. I feel that she would cope better than I if she happens to outlive me. I feel I ought to say more to you but I don’t find it an easy subject to talk about.
Anyway I hope that anyone, no matter how recently or otherwise, who has faced such a loss might at least glean some comfort from the understanding folk on this site. Best wishes to you all.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Thanks again chaps.

My sole comfort is that she would have had a worse time had she outlived me. She was suffering from dementia and would have relied on strangers to look after her.

It is a horrible disease which does not recognise the goodness in a person. She did everything right. Read, did suduko, crosswords etc. but it still dragged her down.

Hopefully she does remember the 57 happy years we were married.
George

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

She was suffering from dementia and would have relied on strangers to look after her.

It is a horrible disease
George I know only too well how horrible dementia is. My mother had it and had to be placed into a nursing home, I kept on visiting even though she did not recognize me until the day when I went to see her with a bunch of flowers, she threw them on the floor saying I don't want them and walked out of the room, I waited for her to return but she had gone outside to the garden and just kept looking in to see if I had gone.

I left and did not ever return, although she was my mother she was no longer the person I knew.............but a stranger. :((

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

It is a horrible disease [/quote]
I left and did not ever return, although she was my mother she was no longer the person I knew.............but a stranger. :((
[/quote]

That sounds really harsh on the face of it, but I totally understand. My mother went the same way. I am told that on the day she finally passed she was calling out for me. And as if to add insult to injury she only decided to pass on on my birthday. :(
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello chaps,

I just wanted to post a late message of thanks from the anniversary of my Dad's passing. We all miss him desperately but your kind words bring some comfort in these sad times. As a both wonderful and heart-breaking testament to my Dad's memory, my 4 year old daughter Emily shouts "Look Mommy, it's Granddad flying!" every time she see's an aeroplane overhead (which is a lot as I live under the flight path of Birmingham City). So it's safe to say his memory lives on.

ATB
Helen
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hello Helen, my heart missed a beat when I first saw this post then realised it was from you.

It is very hard to believe that it was a year ago that you lost your father and we lost a very good friend. Every time I come onto this forum I think of Dave and how he would have answered some of the posts in his humorous way.

His memory will continue to live on with all of us and he will be remembered for a very long time to come. I hope that some day, the sad times that you feel will become easier for you and your family.

Kind regards
Nigel.