Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Sad News

Post by Swanoir »

I've just come back off holiday. Dave wanted me to post some photos of St Maarten, which I'd just logged on to do...
We never met, but like many of you I've been in contact with him for many years. He's always been so kind and generous. The kind of bloke you just know you'd get on with in real life if you met down the pub. It's just not fair, is it?

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

I am very very sorry and shocked to hear the sad news. My condolences to Dave B's family. Dave B was very very very nice and helpful to me. He made me feel welcome in CBFS forums and was very helpful to me.

With deepest condolences and sympathies to Dave B's family,

Aharon

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

I´ve just flown into SKBO late last night (real world) .... after a long and progressively staged trip from NZAA and via both KLAX an KMIA during which this has happened.

I´ve just been alerted (jolted awake by would probably be a better term though) to this "VERY SDAD" news per a private communique from by Tony MADGE.

I´m simply lost for words .... and for me that´s a rarety, but, my sincere and heartfelt condolences to the CBFS team .... and community .... and obviously to Daves family also .... though these words by no means adequately commuicate what I really want/need to express :(

Dave and I communiated occsionally over the years of my own CBFS association.

Running an FS group and/or forum is by no means an easy task (believe you me) .... BUT .... I would have to regard Dave BOOKER as being "one of the true gentlemen of FS" and in any situation too .... one of the most obliging and helpful FS group/forum representatives I´ve ever known/been associated with .... as well as being one of the most experienced and best promoters of our virtual aviation hobby also.

Again my very sincere thoughts/condolences to CBFS .... and everyone.

Mark CRANSTON
HJG
Bogota DC, Republica de Colombia
&
Auckland, New Zeakland
Last edited by Mark C on 18 Aug 2017, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Fitting tribute Trev.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Wow. Not sure how to put this one. Dave is probably the only reason I'm still in FS. He brought be back from the brink via a well-timed PM after we lost Leif and kept finding things to put up for us to all enjoy that kept me interested despite waning time and lots of other things pulling on me for attention. He always had the right thing to say to someone who needed advice, and he always was the guy who would be first to say hello to the new guys.

As all have said here - he was the voice and heart of CBFS. He will be missed dearly.

Ben Hartmann
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ben Hartmann »

Hi Guys

Toby Vickers messaged me last night and broke the bad news, in turn I then called Tony Madge and messaged Andy Ford this morning. It still hasn't sunk in yet. Dave was a wonderful human being, although many times my hot-headedness got me into trouble with him and Mr Russell a few times, in fact he once described me as the sort of person who would fight a bear if I'd had enough pints :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once I split from UKMIL and moved on to helping Leif at CBFiles, followed by my tenure at HJG, Dave gave me the prize job of doing the 737 & 727 repaints for the VA, and after that I quit simming but maintained contact with quite a few of you lot.

I am interested in going to the funeral if someone is willing to go out of their way to pick me up, I'm still in Luton, Bedfordshire but my ever deteriorating health means that I cannot drive and would require a lift. I am able to recompense fuel costs.

Rest In Peace Dave, Have a pint with Garry & Leif for me :guinn: and my deepest condolences to his family

Ben
I was a repaint artist for UKMIL, HJG, CBFSim VA and CBFiles 2004-2012.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

A silly thought just occurred to me. It was Dave who must have checked every day to see if it was anyone's birthday, and if so, posted a thread wishing them a happy birthday. It's little things like that in life which sometimes are the most uplifting.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I don't know what to say, this is so very unexpected. Dave was so very much a part of CBFS that I cannot imagine this place without him. I've never met Dave in person but I could always count on him to get back to me very quickly on whatever question or issue I threw at him. My condolences to his family on this tremendous loss.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

TobyV wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:39
A silly thought just occurred to me. It was Dave who must have checked every day to see if it was anyone's birthday, and if so, posted a thread wishing them a happy birthday. It's little things like that in life which sometimes are the most uplifting.
I agree to how these little things can be uplifting. Not just the initial 'Happy Birthday' post, but also the well wishes and comments from other members. In view of this, I posted Ben's birthday yesterday and Peter's (MilesMan) and Benedettini's today.
In doing so, I've realised just how much effort Dave must have put into this. He seemed to know everyone's name (not just their username). Whilst I know most regular contributors I had to delve into members posts to try and find a first name (unfortunately in Benedettini's case I drew a blank).
I can only conclude that this forum meant an awful lot to Dave. And that can only come from his appreciation of the contribution of forum members.
I'm sure it would make him very happy to see us all pull together and continue as near to normal as possible.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Damn it!
:(

My most solemn and heart felt condolences to his wife and child.

... sorry to read of your passing DB. .. So Long, my friend