Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

Ben Hartmann
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Sad News

Post by Ben Hartmann »

DaveG wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 10:26
Ben Hartmann wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 10:03
TSR2 wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 09:25
Chaps, I've put an update with the finalised funeral arrangements on the first post, and set up a poll as we need to confirm the numbers asap. Please only vote if you are coming, or think you might be able to come.
Ben see my post

Rgds

Ben
Ben (H), I'm in Caddington, and planning to go, so I can give you a lift if you like. :)
Hi Dave

That would be fantastic much appreciated

Best Regards

Ben
I was a repaint artist for UKMIL, HJG, CBFSim VA and CBFiles 2004-2012.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

No problem Ben. PM me you address and we'll arrange details.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps, if anyone would like to send a card etc, please PM me for Dave's address.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

MilesMan
Lightning
Lightning

Post by MilesMan »

Have just returned home after a few days away and have only just seen this awful news. Yet another unique character taken away from us. Rest in peace Dave, you will be sorely missed by all here.

Peter W

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I've just returned from holiday today, and am stunned by the news that Dave has passed away. He was the only person on this forum that I actually met. He took great delight in showing me round his baby at Brooklands on more than one occasion. Memories that I treasure.

Typing this through tear filled eyes.

:'(

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

This was the second time I mate Dave in person, I'm pretty sure David Maltby took this shot. Helen was there too, as always on the back of her Dad's bike, the Kawasaki if I remember. This was Air Atlantique at Coventry, with Del, Tom, Dave Maltby (not in shot) Dave Garwood and other names that I cant place.

The first time I met Dave in person, was at Brooklands, 22nd May 2004. We'd been chatting on messenger, late in the evening on the Friday... after 23:00. Dave had got wind that Superb would be doing her last taxi on the Saturday at 13:00 and let me know. Details of how to get to the pub where provided and I left Edinburgh, where I was living at the time, at stupid o'clock in the morning. I just pulled into the pub car park, and he was already on the bike, bedecked in his leathers,with Helen on the back, ready to go as we were running late. Trying to keep up was entertaining, the big Rover could shift, but was no match for the Quacker. We got to Brooklands to find the run had been canceled due to lack of fire cover, the fire marshal had taken ill. I got a great look around the museum and of course Superb and A40-AB. His enthusiasm was infectious. His love of bikes, photography and aviation was so tangible, you could almost touch it. His "Den" in the pub was wall to wall, ceiling to floor flight sim and aviation. So much stuff! I thought I was a hoarder :lol:

On another occasion, I was feeling a bit glum, I was living in Edinburgh still and it was afternoon on Hogmanay. I've no idea now what in particular was eating me, but as I would do, I went for a drive, and ended up down Berkshire way at 22:00 or so and popped into the Bull. I cant quite recall if Dave was in the kitchens on that evening, or I'm getting mixed up with another occasion, but after his shift, he'd come down to the bar, smart as you like with a pressed shirt and trousers and his RN belt. A pint was placed in my hand and we started talking about aircraft. And all was right with the world. The last time I saw Dave was August 2014, up in Walsall. I'd been working in Chelmsford and popped across one evening. The location had changed, but little else. I remember much frustration at the carry on to get the bike (now the Triumph) from the back out to the front of the house. All in the usual Dave style. Later we progressed through to the new den. Little had changed, flight yoke, throttles monitor, all as it had been before. He was showing me a helicopter he'd been repainting. He loved rotary stuff didn't he. I remember the "sport" of trying to put down on Ark Royal... (your one Skip) and later, when Rick had hardend the flight deck on Glamorgan, trying to get various choppers on her. He never had a bad word to say about anyone. Even when EUjet was trying everyone's patience he remained calm (admittedly through gritted teeth). He was very much CBFS. I don't think I can recall him being down. Even when life would throw a curve ball, he'd just get on with it. Or maybe that was the duck persona, maybe he was paddling like hell under the water. He was a top bloke, and like he was to so many here, he was my friend and I shall truly miss him. I shall always remember him, fresh from his shower with his white pressed shirt and black trousers and RN belt, pint in hand. That's the one memory that always pops into my head when I hear Dave Booker. Mines a Tetley you old bugger. :cheers:
Air-Atlantique0904 025-m.jpg
(151.72 KiB) Downloaded 1127 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Great memories Ben. I think Coventry was the first time I met Dave and yourself. Met up with him half a dozen or so times at various airshows and events, but I never made it to the Bull unfortunately.
Dave G.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

That is a great picture Ben. However the only faces that I recognise are yourself on the right standing next to Dave.
When I went to Coventry two years after that I recall speaking to Del as we were getting out of the Dove( Devon). Unfortunately I can't recall which one is Del. It was Del who pointed me in the direction of cbfsim so it was a meeting which was to have an influence on my life from that day to this. I recall flying to Duxford on that Twinpin in 2005 and somewhere I have a photo of taken a year or so later of passengers, including Ben, boarding the Twinpin for a trip. You might recall Ben that you were there because one of your musical heroes, Bruce Dickinson was piloting the aircraft that day. Thanks for posting that.Dave would have loved it. : :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Ben,
Thanks for posting the photo.
Could you please tack on the names that you do know, so that we who have never met, can see who is who?
Thanks mate. ;)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

That's a great picture. I know who Ben, Dave B, Dave G and Del P are in it. Happy memories for you Ben, and as for others who knew him closely, his passing must have come as a particularly bitter blow. I once raised the idea of going down to Brooklands, as I've never visited the museum there, and meeting up with him. We were going to agree on a date, but life got in the way and then they left the pub and headed north to the Midlands. I deeply regret not taking the opportunity when I could.