Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Sad News

Post by DaveG »

Hi Alison. :hello:

Thank you for taking the time to post here. All our thoughts are with you and Helen. Please consider yourself part of the CBFS family, and you will always be welcome.
:RN:
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks Alison, thanks for inviting us to share Dave's send off. It was a real honour.

Guys,

I know some have mentioned its hard to get back into the virtual cockpit since Dave has left us, but here's the thing. That's the last thing he would have wanted. He'd have had a pint and paid his respects, and got back to it. Whatever life threw at him, he just got the head down and got on with it. If he could hear any of us say we were finding it hard to get back into the sim, he'd have put some Tabaco in his pipe, raised the eyebrow and uttered in a soft west midlands tone some suitable tongue in cheek comment and we'd have smiled and got straight back to it.

Personally, I've been putting little groups of RN vessels all over the world in P3D, so that, when I'm flying somewhere, if I happen to chance upon one, I can have a little smile to myself as I fly overhead. :RN:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Alison, thank you for posting your kind words on here. I'm sure we'd all agree that contact from you and Helen will always be welcome on this forum. Many thanks also to Ben for being the contact point at this sad time for us all. With regards to continuing with fs Ben is right on the point by saying that that the last thing Dave would want is for any of us to stop because of him. In my own case I'd bet he's smiling as he watches me trying to get my fs9 running properly on a new Windows 10 pc. I'm listening for any advice Dave. It would also be very remiss of me not to thank Ben for all his help with this. Best wishes to you all EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Not just at an hour ago I thought about saying something similar, Ben!
This is amazing :-O

Just to add to what has already been said... In my words

David would want nothing less - he'd expect nothing less.. than for you all here on CBFS and across the world to carry on... I know the highest honour you could possibly show Dave is to carry on ..CHIN UP , MAN!.

His dedication to CBFS was for you! He served at your pleasure!

He definitely wouldn't want us to be disheartened.

I got to know Dave well through our many PM's over the years. We shared all kinds of personal stuff , work, his loathing of his sat/nav, his boss splitting up his schedule. Trying to find Garry when he'd not been seen on the forum after a month or so.. .. ..anyway.. enough to say to Brian..

Brian
You pointed out Dave's sign line.. "old sailors never die" .
if he could could get one last quip out to us about that.. ...it would be...

Apparently I lied.... B)smk

Because he'd want to leave you all with a smile.

PS
To Alison and Helen:

Forgive me for not addressing you earlier.. but I'm kinda shy.. :$
I just don't have the words to express my sorrow for your loss.. your willingness to share your lives is a blessing that has eased our sorrow.
Bless you.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Alison, very many thanks for posting your message, it means a lot to us to know that you appreciated our posts and hope that in some way helped you to feel that you and Helen were not alone with the sad loss of Dave.

I cannot add any more that has not already been written and said

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Hello folks,

Just popped in for the first time in ages for a nosy about and can't believe what I'm reading. So very sorry to hear that Dave has left the departure gate. :(

Looks like a very well deserved send off though. Wish I could have gone. He was a gent and good bloke too.. RIP DaveB
The very best of regards and condolences to your family as well.

As your spirit rises above us all don't forget to keep the blue side up and remember one peek is worth a thousand instrument cross-checks...ATB Dave

Gordon :(
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

To Alison and Helen (((( X X )))) Thank you for sharing Dave with us.

Den.

ChipShop
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ChipShop »

Hello everyone,
I too have been absent from the Flight Sim world, due to 'real world' family problems and pressures. I too thought I'd take a quick shufti at the forums.............. :-O

I am deeply shocked to hear that Dave has gone! :((

I think I can honestly say that Dave for so many of us, embodied all that was good about Flight Simming!

I used to pester him something rotten, with requests for tweaks to aircraft skins etc., or if there was something that I didn't understand regarding the complexities of downloading or something, and every time he would come up trumps!
All of this AND doing his job AND keeping SWMBO(Alison) happy (very important!), not to mention his helpfulness with other members of the Flight Sim community!

I never actually got to meet the man or talk with him over the phone; but, through the medium of the internet and our wonderful forums, I think that I came to know Dave quite well!

We have indeed lost a very special person, hopefully the 'Big Guy' upstairs has a 'full on' Flight Sim set up, for Dave to use; and he certainly won't have to bother about any more Sainsbury's 'late shifts' in the dark and rain, (he hated doing those!)

God Bless You Shipmate! :cheers:

Of course my sincere condolences to Alison and Helen at this desperately difficult time!

ChipShop

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Just got back from a few weeks, Internet free, away and see this terrible news. Dave was one of the few people I knew, in this volatile virtual world, who could disagree but in the nicest possible way. Even when pushed hard I never saw a bad word from him and he could rip apart dodgy software and still make it look like he quite liked it really. That's an all too rare skill in our online world and it will be hugely missed. Rest in peace Dave - you deserve nothing less.

As a postscript - I arrived back in the UK via Portsmouth early this morning and (hopefully) got some good low-light photos of various bits of RN hardware including QE II. I was thinking of Dave when taking these; thinking that he might appreciate them. This news has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm but he'd be a bit pissed off if I didn't post them so they'll be posted to the gallery section within a few days and dedicated to the great DaveB.

ATB Dave.
Chris Hunt

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

I've been a way too long and now I read that Dave has passed. It's a cruel world. Dave made this place friendly, knowledgeable and what it is. This forum gave me a love of all things classic, british and flightsim.

For that and his kindness and thank him.

Fly high Dave

John R
never give up, never surrender