Sad News

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Will you be attending?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2017, 09:23

Yes
62%
Not sure
38%

Total votes: 13

Tonks
The Ministry

Re: Sad News

Post by Tonks »

I, like everyone, was completely shocked when I heard this news...

I got dragged into the world of CBFSim many years ago by Dave when I answered some questions about VC10 operations that he and Dave M asked. Over the months I got to know him I always found him full of joy and enthusiasm for everything! My abiding memory of him is the day I was able to take him flying on a VC10 AAR sortie over the North Sea... he was so excited and he took hundreds of photos!!!!

I am now just lost for words...

Dave, you will be missed by so many, family and friends alike. Rest in peace friend...

Andy
It's NOT real!!!!!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Very sad news, I kept in touch with Dave over the years and I echo every ones sentiments about what a great bloke he is, will be sadly missed by me as I always found he would answer questions I had with humor and knowledge, my deepest condolences go to his dear wife and daughter I can only imagine the pain they are feeling.
Lost for words :( :(
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Just for once I'm struggling for words to describe the sudden loss of the heart and soul of CBFS. Blue skies, mate.
Pete

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Extremely sad news and I'm in a state of shock. We never met, but I feel I knew him very well after so many correspondence and discussions on forums. He was a real light of the community.

If I possibly can I'd like to attend the funeral. It is a fair trek and I've never before attended the funeral of an online friend, but Dave was truly special and I'd like to make the effort if I can. Please keep us updated with details.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Will do mate, details will be posted in the first post of this thread as more information becomes available. Provisionally 31st August, but very much subject to change at the moment.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

I'm going to dig out an old VHS of 'The Titfield Thunderbolt', because to my mind, John Gregson as The Squire seems to personify Dave in this forum.
We need more people like Dave Booker. May he rest in peace.
MikeW

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Like everyone else, I am stunned by this tragic news of the man who kept a balance on this board which might otherwise not have been achieved. My condolences to his family . RIP DaveB

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I'm just gonna float an idea here to see how it is received... Flight Sim 2017 is coming up at RAF Cosford in Oct. This is about as close at it gets to Dave, FS convention wise. Might this be an opportunity for the very British FS community to publicly come together and commemorate his passing/celebrate his life in some way???

http://flightsimshow.com/

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I was also wondering if there was something we could do, if Dave had a particular favourite aircraft, or a favourite charity (perhaps a maritime one?). I note from his profile he was associated with a project to restore a TCA Vanguard cockpit, which according to the website, has stalled a bit. I wondered if having a whip round might advance that project a bit and maybe dedicate it to Dave if it was a favourite of his?

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Dave_B1.jpg
(69.66 KiB) Downloaded 1287 times
Just saw this rather lovely tribute to Dave at SHO by a poster called Ganter, thought I'd share it here, I think Dave would have liked it.
ATB Trev