DM For Similar checklists

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buzz887
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

DM For Similar checklists

Post by Buzz887 »

Hi all,

I'm just getting back into Fsx, however I am using steam version.

I have many questions regarding the aircraft and how to install directly into Fsx Se.

In addition to the aircraft I need to know how to get the checklists to show up in the various models, for example where should the info point to in the scripts/config files.

I know what I am asking is a tall order, but I hope someone can help.

Regards
Buzz887

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Re: DM For Similar checklists

Post by emfrat »

Buzz887 wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 23:35
Hi all,
In addition to the aircraft I need to know how to get the checklists to show up in the various models, for example where should the info point to in the scripts/config files.
Hello - First of all, many non-default aircraft just don't have the 'check' and 'ref' files included.
If you look at a plane's folder e.g. Simobjects\Airplanes\Wellington it should have two files called:
Wellington_check.htm
Wellington_ref.htm

The aircraft.cfg in the same folder should have two lines calling for those files:
kb_checklists=Wellington_check
kb_reference=Wellington_ref

Notice the .htm part is not used in the cfg file. If the files don't exist in the \Wellington folder, the cfg can't find them. If they do exist but the cfg doesn't call for them (i.e. kb_checklists= has nothing after it ) you won't see them.

Hope this helps,
MikeW

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

There is really no difference when installing aircraft in FSX:SE compared to stock FSX. The folder structure is identical once you get to the FSX root folder but the location of that folder may be different depending on whether you did a standard or custom install of FSX:SE.

Most (if not all) payware installers will find a FSX:SE install without issue.
Larry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks, MikeW :thumbsup:
Education always welcome. ;)

Buzz887
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Buzz887 »

Hi

Many thanks for replies.

My understanding has now gone up a notch.

In relation to checklist stuff, I may try and have a look at the source HTML file because it must have a reference inside it to open up the other links of the checklist.

Cheers

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

Note that the links in DM's checklists will not work in FSX' kneeboard and there's nothing you can do about it.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

That's interesting, Bjoern - I had a lot of DM's planes in my late-lamented FS Classic 9.1 install, but I didn't add them to my FSX. In FS2004 the check and ref were .txt files
1 - In my earlier post, I should have made it clear that in FSX each [flightsim.xx] entry had to have the check and ref links.
2- As far as I remember (and these days that is not always as far as I thought) one of the changes with FSX was that the Kneeboard was set up as a web browser, hence the change from .txt to .htm files.
In my early FSX days, I just accepted that 'Kneeboard not working' was a design feature of FSX, like not being able to start other than by Ctrl+E. I have learned a bit since then, but there is always room for more B-)