CYXX Airshow unfortunate end to the day

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

CYXX Airshow unfortunate end to the day

Post by Vancouver »

Seems a 30's Dragon Rapide was severely damaged.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4383253/abbo ... um=Twitter
Alex

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: CYXX Airshow unfortunate end to the day

Post by Airspeed »

That is sad.
Hope they come through OK.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Very sad. :(

Brian

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

1 Critical injury (most likely the pilot), 1 serious, and 1 "non-life threatening" injuries.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=214384

The aircraft was formerly of the Bowers collection prior to the HFF acquiring it recently and had received a recent restoration and repaint in British Overseas Airways/Royal Air Service paint and a return of its original "registration" G-AHXW on the side (although legally it is registered in the US as N683DH) by Sealand Aviation in Canada and this was one of its first public outings since being finished in June.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Quick update -

1) John Sessions, chief pilot/chairman/primary benefactor of HFF and well known warbird pilot was the one seriously injured. (For those who don't know who Mr. Sessions is, here is a news article - https://www.heraldnet.com/business/whos ... oundation/)

2) John posted the following to the HFF Facebook page today - https://www.facebook.com/HistoricFlight ... 2153390016
This post is overdue.

As many followers of HFF know, I was the pilot of a beautifully restored DH 89 Dragon Rapide that crashed shortly after takeoff last Saturday at Abbotsford. The best news is the passengers are home and will be whole again. I was critically injured and required two surgeries, but less than four days later, the doctors at Royal Columbian (BC's trauma hospital) sent me home. From my present perch, I have resumed general ruckus-making via e-mail.

Regarding flying commitments and events for the remainder of the season, HFF will finish strong where it can and modify or substitute where necessary. The web site and Facebook will be the best sources of information. Looking longer term, we will spend the fall and winter presenting some of the best aviation programs available, constructing a second facility at Spokane's Felts Field, and preparing to pathfind in 2019, the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift.

I will focus on healing and a love/hate relationship with a physical therapist. The rules allow me to fly again after I demonstrate pilot skills with a prosthetic lower left leg. Pistorius gave blade runners a bad name. I'm motivated to turn that around.

When you need a good read, pick up one of the biographies of WWII RAF ace Douglas Bader.

Thank you for many expressions of concern. HFF attracts a lovely group. I will see some of you this Saturday at Challenge Air.

John
And no, you didn't read that incorrectly. John unfortunately has lost a leg in the accident, but being John Sessions, his focus is not on that, but how that won't keep him from flying again. I have a ton of respect for him because of what he's done in a short time for the warbird community in the US, but this makes me more in awe of him than ever.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that information, Chris.
I like his spirit.
Good wishes for a speedy progress to recovery.