Two questions about Boxcars.

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Two questions about Boxcars.

Post by Paul K »

First question: does anyone own the Aeroplane Heaven C119 Boxcar ? If so, do you have a list of faults and unresolved issues that are still awaiting attention ?

Second question: has anyone heard anything more about the freeware Boxcar that was under development at Sim Outhouse ? It seems to have been put aside, with no recent updates.

Thanks for any info, chaps. :xsmile:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Two questions about Boxcars.

Post by Airspeed »

No, and no, Paul.
Which surprises me; maybe I had one in FS2004?
I was quite interested in the Carenado version.
Though they were having a sale, they wanted about $50 for it.
You've piqued my interest now, will have to look for it on line, though my rig is running so poorly, I'm not often even bothering to use FSX.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I have been reading about both over at the SOH, I don't have it (yet) but have not heard of any major issues with it, Baz has released an update version fixing the initial bugs, and they are working on an update that will include the 'Flight of the Phoenix' aircraft that was (in the movie) built from parts of a Boxcar.

As for the freeware version, the author has run into personal and hardware issues that have interrupted development, and Baz has assured us it was none of his doing.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Mike, yes there was one for FS2004, and I'm under the impression that the freeware Sim Outhouse model is based on it - maybe I've got that wrong..?

Joe, thanks for the info. I'm following the forums at Sim-Outhouse and Just Flight, and while it's easy to spot reports of problems, it all goes quiet if and when those problems are resolved. Consequently, you are left wondering whether everything got fixed, which I suppose is the reason for my opening post. After the C-46, and to a lesser extent their Chipmunk and SB2C, I'm very wary about A.H. and would like to be 100% certain before parting with any more money.

It's a shame the freeware Boxcar has ground to a halt. I think I'd be happier with that model than the AH one. If you hear any more news, please let me know. Larry ( our very own Tako Kichi ) will know the full story, as he is part of the team - Larry, are you there ?? :)

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Yeah I'm here and yes you are correct it is me who is behind the freeware Boxcar project and have been for several years now.

Unfortunately the second half of this year has not been good in terms of health as my daughter, wife and myself have all had our own issues and each has meant multiple trips to the docs/hospital ER and several weeks of subsequent treatment with some issues turning out to be life-long (my wife has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my daughter was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago).

In addition I lost my texture artist on the project about 18 months ago and while I have had people offer to help with the external textures (and they are all very well done and complete now) I am still struggling to get the VC textures finished although there is really only one sheet now that needs a little TLC. Back in February of this year I was getting ready for the annual flight sim Round the World Race when the throttle section of my HOTAS (X55) decided to develop a short-circuit during a test flight which crashed my computer. As a result of the sudden shut-down my C: drive developed a boot sector error and my computer refused to reboot again! I had to install a new HD and reinstall Win 10 and all my software to get it working again. On examining the throttle the internal wiring had either broken or was crushed in several places due to being badly assembled in the factory. I repaired all the bad wires and reassembled the unit and on initial testing everything seemed OK but then the computer crashed again (but thankfully rebooted) so I gave up and tossed the HOTAS into the electronic recycling box! I do have older HOTAS systems (two X52s and one X45) but they all have intermittent button issues which is why they were retired in the first place. I also have a Saitek yoke and throttle but I find it a bear to fly with mostly due to the appalling shortage of buttons and switches compared to the HOTAS systems.

So with health and hardware issues there has been no progress on the project for most of the year, the rest has been nice but it's hard to get motivated to finish it to be honest (I also have two more Navion projects almost complete too) especially as I have no hardware to fly with (I've not flown anything since February). I was going to buy one of the new Honeycomb Bravo throttles which were due out in Q1 of 2018 and here we are at the end of Q4 with no sign of them ever being released so that didn't help either.

Bottom line is I am not sure if these projects will ever get finished now, it's hard to find the mojo again with no texture artist on the development team and no working hardware to test with.
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Sounds like you've had a bit of a year, Larry - very sorry to hear it. Fair enough though, the real life comes first. I think until the AH model gets the all clear, I shall remain Boxless.

Larry, I hope you have a good Christmas as much as you can, and that 2019 is a much better year for you all. :cheers: