Hello!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Hello!

Post by KPryor »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the warm welcome. I'm retired now and have too many hobbies, but my main one right now is flight simulator once again. If I could get my youngest granddaughter off my computer, I'd be in there working on learning the 748 some more.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Welcome Ken to our sometimes chaotic group with lots of wisdom available if you need any help. BTW, the jokes are great on here.

Nigel²

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

KPryor wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 22:52
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the warm welcome. I'm retired now and have too many hobbies, but my main one right now is flight simulator once again. If I could get my youngest granddaughter off my computer, I'd be in there working on learning the 748 some more.
Ken, the Good Lord said "suffer little children."

Suggest that she leaves before the pain starts!

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

That's the way I interpreted it at school, Graham. :agree:
I didn't know then that "suffer" had multiple meanings. :stupid: :lol: :lol:

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

Filonian wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 09:17

Ken, the Good Lord said "suffer little children."

Suggest that she leaves before the pain starts!

Graham
Haha, good plan Graham. :lol: I did manage to get some FS time in last night finally.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm just getting back into FSX after a long hiatus.
Hi Ken, hope you pop back in this thread as if you are starting back flying with FSX one ATC add-on (if you are interested) has been made freeware:

Radar Contact, well worth downloading, you can find it on this thread in the very first post:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5477 ... on/?page=1

Equally, to make the voices sound better you can also download Meatwater enhanced voice files which make Radar Contact so much better, and that goes for anyone else!! :lol:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5484 ... s-for-rc4/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

Thanks Nigel! I had seen that about RC, but hadn't seen the enhanced voice files. I'll definitely download everything and give it a try. The FSX built-in ATC leaves much to be desired.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

KPryor wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 22:52
my main one right now is flight simulator once again. If I could get my youngest granddaughter off my computer, I'd be in there working on learning the 748 some more.
Or you can fly together with your granddaughter while teaching her how to fly and teaching her geography lessons by pointing out geographical areas that you are flying above. By 50 flight hours, your granddaughter will learn more about geography than any school can teach her.

Regards,

Aharon

KPryor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by KPryor »

She has definitely shown interest. She loves to go to the local airport with me to see the airplanes and I really want to keep that interest going. My other two grandkids don't have any interest in this at all really. I wish my local area had more accurate coverage in FSX. I think she would love seeing local things and then branching out to worldwide things like you suggest. We live in a rural area in southern Illinois, which isn't well covered I'm afraid. Not sure if there are any good add-ons that would improve that.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

KPryor wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:54
She has definitely shown interest. She loves to go to the local airport with me to see the airplanes and I really want to keep that interest going. I wish my local area had more accurate coverage in FSX. I think she would love seeing local things and then branching out to worldwide things like you suggest. We live in a rural area in southern Illinois, which isn't well covered I'm afraid. Not sure if there are any good add-ons that would improve that.
Actually Microsoft's default FSX ground scenery is pretty good. If you want better Illinois ground textures, try payware Megascenery brand. Have not used that but many people are satisfied with that. Check out: https://www.pcaviator.com/store/product ... 098&page=1

or for neighboring states, try freeware http://www.blueskyscenery.com/download.html

Regards,

Aharon