Compasses

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Compasses

Post by JohnWillimas »

I'd welcome some advice from folks here, 'cos I'm confused. I'm looking at the whisky compass that appears in many classic prop aircraft. My problem is that they don't appear to behave the same and the problem involves the needle card. If I look at Ant's tiger moth, for example, the end of the needle card pointing north is the end with the short cross mark on it , where as on my Avro Anson the short cross piece is at the southern end. They can't all be right? Can they? My instinct says the Tiger and DH89 are right in this selection but I'd welcome folks thoughts. All these pics were taken withthe aircraft heading of 50 degrees...
Tiger.....Image
DH89.... Image
Anson...Image
Tutor....Image

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Compasses

Post by Dev One »

Don't have the Anson or the DH89 in FSX, but Ants Tiger compass is correct, the cross barred arm of the needle is magnetic North, so with a modern standard rotatable compass card with the 'T' type railway lines, if you align the tail of the T with the cross barred needle then read off the degrees where the front of the compass has its lubber line, this should agree with the FSX (or FS9) heading reading at the top of the screen. Trouble is Nigel has not made that possible in his Avro's without modifying his model .mdl & adding a bit to his panel.cfg.
BTW M$ do have the seemingly weird reaction in a turn correct, where it goes in reverse initially, I think it also lags badly on a Northerly heading & they have incorporated the magnetic deviation, but at the old rate, not the current rate of change of the magnetic North pole! So it can be a couple of degrees out.
My P8 compasses work like Ants, but do not have a tooltip text readout of heading.
Keith

P.S. I once flew a Tiger that had a full cross railway lined compass - & yes I took off & flew on a reciprocal heading for some minutes......... :$ :hide:

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Thanks, Keith.

Suppose I could have posted this over at the Outhouse but it seems a general issue - the Anson is actually Simon Smeiman's (FSAddon)...

Cheers!

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Bit of judicious fiddling with the Tutor's XML file......