New computer!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New computer!

Post by petermcleland »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 21:19
Avoid avoid avoid Intel processors for a new build. Ryzen 3000 processors are now available and offer far better performance for the money.
Well I went for the ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 Graphics card, Charley...Expensive but I like Intel and it seems to be doing a great job!...It goes with the Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores/16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0GHz and that is cooled by the Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler and it all sits on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING Motherboard...It is all cased in a Fractal Design Define C Case with Tempered Glass Window - Black with 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)...It has a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCle Solid State Drive...I have added an extension drive by SEAGATE with 5 TB. One thing that amazes me is that I can NOT hear the four fans, even with my hearing aids! LOL!
The Screen is a 34" ASUS MX34VQ QHD Curved Gaming Monitor.

I'm very pleased with it all and can hardly wait for my pre-ordered MSFS2020 on August 17th !!
Last edited by petermcleland on 20 Jul 2020, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

That is a beast! I would go with Intel too, if only I could get the proposal passed the committee stage. Unfortunately the idea clashes with the new kitchen appliances proposal. Somehow that is the priority. :hide: :wall:
Alex

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

LOL! Yes, I can understand that!

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Vancouver wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:28
That is a beast! I would go with Intel too, if only I could get the proposal passed the committee stage. Unfortunately the idea clashes with the new kitchen appliances proposal. Somehow that is the priority. :hide: :wall:
Aye Alex. Women are very strange cattle who can be relied upon to get the priorities wrong every time :lol:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0id6yuu ... vey_Tracey

The new sim seems to show better shadows of your aircraft than previous sims !

Click the very small pic to get down to the shadow :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

That's looking very good Peter, not long now before you are able to grace the skies with your new computer!! :thumbsup:

Now, one thing that has not been raised (as far as I am aware) of what type of performance can we expect from MS2020, all I have seen is this fantastic scenery but, what of the individual graphic settings going to be like? For instance, I am running the X-Plane 11 Beta and with graphics set at maximum flying around London it is as smooth as silk and around 30 -35fps with payware aircraft that require quite a bit of power, but if I fire up X-Plane 11 none Beta version, I get bottle necking with frame rates down to 20fps and stutters in London so has any-one who has had the privilege of flying in MS2020 really pushed the sim to it's limits and have there been any sign of a stutter? *-)

Just interested in finding out where the red line is set on graphic settings.

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nigel, I think the Bandwidth will control the performance...I notice that when I select a video that is at 4K, it does not necessarily give me 4K and gives me 1080 instead...However if at a later time I select the same video it will often give me the 4K or sometimes the next step down...I think this is decided on the Bandwidth at the time. I leave my Bandwidth selection on Auto rather than a number on the list...It then gives the best number to suit the Bandwidth at the time. Perhaps all this working from home, that people now do, is probably the main controller of what bandwidth you actually get

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

From what I’m aware of the graphics settings seem to be slider based with a bit of explanation as to what each slider does. I haven’t seen any way of seeing Frames Per Second, but to be honest, I’ve always found the use of FPS in any sim very misleading and not a great measure of performance. A different argument could be had with some “games.”

I’ve certainly not had any negative performance experience on a fairly modest set up. But remember, all the experiences to date are with a default out of the box SIM and not with any 3rd party addons.

Bandwidth will have no baring on performance once the photo tiles of a particular area have been cached. They’re only downloaded once from what I can tell.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Ben, I presume the tiles are all deleted when you shut down the program? BTW I am intending to place the FS2020 program on my C: drive (the 500GB Solid State Drive) rather that my D: drive which is a normal Seagate 5 TB drive...Would this be the correct way to go? I would appreciate your view on this.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Peter, from what I can tell, the tile directory can go anywhere and is persistent. I think the plan will be to only overwrite updated areas if required. You can set the size of the cache as you like. I’m not sure what the finished installer will look like though as it’s likely to be different from what I’ve seen to date.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage