New computer!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: New computer!

Post by TSR2 »

Here is the press release from Blackshark.ai

https://blackshark.ai/
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Peter, check your PM for some information that might be useful. 😊

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ben, does that imply Blackshark are putting in landmarks and matching towns and cities to how they are actually seen?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If you take a look at their video it will show you, but they look at the buildings from 2D imagery, and then use AI to look at buildings in the area to help give a more accurate rendering of the 3D building. They aren't putting landmarks, that needs to be done by hand. Its not perfect, but for example, If I fly over my house, I can see my house as a 3D object. Its on a new development so it has rendered the houses on the development using roughly the right colours. The clever thing is, the existing development adjacent to ours has been there maybe 25 years. The colours on those 3D buildings are the greyish brown brick that seemed to be en vouge at that time and are an accurate reflection of how they look. Obviously, with commercial premises its much more difficult to use AI to give an accurate colour as rarely are adjacent buildings the same. What is interesting is that they seem to be suggesting they have signed a long term agreement, so they will continue to update the modelling and colouring as they get more accurate data and that can be streamed into the sim. Think broadly more accurate Orbx, but for the whole planet. There are errors, but its very good IMHO. As a test I've been to Perpignan, Sumburgh, Hongkong, Singapore, Paris, Amsterdam, Gibraltar this week. Some of these I would fly to relatively often, some maybe only occasionally if I was doing a round the world flight. Previously, The UK would look pretty good, and the rest of it, even with a good global Mesh would be... well, ok, but nothing much to look at. As a result, I'd be less inclined to fly to places I didn't have scenery for. Now its a whole new ball game.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks for the explanations Ben even though you did succeed in mincing my brain somewhere from the start to the finish but overall, I am now much more educated in the AI department and understood broadly!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nice to meet an old Friend!...

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0HewF2K ... vey_Tracey

Click the URL and then the very small picture to get the big one.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have to say that they have done extremely well in modelling the water, looks very good. Won't be long now Peter and you can fly to your hearts content. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Yes Nigel...The water is superb. However I will need to take care when landing my old friend because this water gets very unfriendly in strong winds!

I shall be using this aircraft for my first flight in the new sim. I will fly it from Plymouth airport to the Helford river. then I will taxy it around the river looking at old haunts!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

While the water looks good, the effect of the waves etc on a model (ship / aircraft etc) is non existent at the moment. This is something that's on their radar (as mentioned in their Q&A) but its probably some way off. There's no discernible affect of waves or currents on anything as yet... it just looks really good.

ImageImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I Got the hook at one minute past midnight last night and I sat up all night with the download finishing at about 5 am this morning...I think it was 92.15 MBs...Everything went into Drive C:/ my 500 MB SSD. I now have 30 new aircraft to admire and learn to fly. At the moment I am busy on steep learning curves trying to remember where the relevant buttons are, in the program and on my stick and throttle!...There are so many buttons and at the moment I've found elevator trim on both stick and throttle and I now know the Toggle Gear button on the stick...Yesterday I made a flight plan for the Icon A5 from Plymouth to Culdrose… and I saved it, However, I feel so knackered now that I might just wait till tomorrow to fly it, if I can find how to load it!