Newbie help requested for Viscount & HS748

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Slipstream1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Newbie help requested for Viscount & HS748

Post by Slipstream1 »

Hi all,
I hope asking on two aircraft in one post isn't breaking any board protocol & I should explain that I'm a user with no technical knowledge of simming other than what I've gathered from using FSX.
I'd also like to explain that the aircraft I fly have some personal nostalgic connection. You can skip to part 2 for the specific problems if the storytelling is boring. ;)
The Viscount was my 1st flight aged 6. Ansett ANA Launceston - Melbourne on my own( dunno why) The overwhelming memory is of extreme ear ache & instead of telling me to hold nose & blow to relieve pressure, the stewardess(in those days) squirted some kind of cream up my nose which didn't help with the pain but tasted awful.
HS748 known as Andover was my listening delight many mornings as 32 sqn Darts fired up at 8am :tunes: The best hitch-hiking I could manage in those days was a lousy Devon which stunk of jeyes fluid from the elsan at the back when I really wanted a ride in a 125.
My Trident experience was Heathrow-Aberdeen where I was in the last of the aft facing seats. As flying experiences go it was pretty weird hanging by my strap on take off looking down at the faces below me. The next HS748 experience was waiting at Aberdeen for the fog to clear while waiting for onward flight to Kirkwall. Loads of blokes hanging around wearing red oilskins (something to do with oil & Bristow).

Part 2, my little problems.
The HS748 is a beautiful model marred only by a single texture issure which if cured for FSX will make it perfect. I've highlighted the issue in the link below in HS748 folder, also included is the version.

I can't fly the Viscount yet because I can't shut the doors & retract airstairs, again the version is given in Viscount folder. Also in the folder I've noted .cfg entry for animated props, I'm sure they should change pitch but don't so any help there would also be apreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s2v9n0jceeqi ... Vd7Ta?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Paul
PAUL F.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Newbie help requested for Viscount & HS748

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard. You're a lucky man have flown on all those types. I just missed the Trident as they were retired shortly before my first flight.

Anyway, on to your problems. I'm not seeing that issue with the 748. It did go through a few iterations in the early days. Can I ask where you downloaded it from?
HS748VC.JPG
(101.22 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
As for the Viscount, this started life (from memory) as an FS2002 model that was upgraded to FS9. There are some nuances with all FS9 models in FSX and (again from memory) prop transparency and I think animation were such problems related to the model being for the earlier SIM and ported over to FSX. Again, did you download it from here? If so, many of the little tweaks to make FS9 models work better in FSX where included in the FSX packages, but fundamentally its still an FS9 model.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Slipstream1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Slipstream1 »

Ben, memory not so good these days. I think I originally dl'd 748 from Rikooo but couldn't get it to run properly so uninstalled & then found CBFS from where I dl'd HS7V6.FSX. The instrument panel at night has one gauge with lighting misaligned but that's explained in the readme & I can live with it. Unluckily the screen sill texture is always in view & hard to ignore.

It seems that I need to do a comparison with files of different versions, perhaps swap some textures around.
The Viscount definitely came from here but I think you've pointed me in the right direction & possibly I'm missing files or .cfg text from earlier model.
On the subject of Tridents I love DM's model & it flies without problem in FSX despite David saying it ran better in FS9.

Paul
[edit] You're right about my luck, happened to be the right generation & right place to experience many highlights of aviation.
Last edited by Slipstream1 on 03 Jan 2020, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
PAUL F.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I'm running FSX in WIN7, I don't have the problem you are reporting with the 748, it looks fine on my setup.
748.jpg
(157.38 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
As for the Viscount, start the engines and the stairs dissappear, same as on the Vanguard model.

Not ideal but for an aircraft that was originally designed for FS2002 it works.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Slipstream1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Slipstream1 »

I've started Viscount engines & the stairs didn't disappear, in fact the only way I can fly it at the moment is with doors open & stairs dangling !
The clue must be in the screenshot I showed of the preview page in FSX . It's the only aircraft with open doors & stairs out on that page.
PAUL F.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Paul Re the hs748. Ben's on the ball with what he said However there was a known issue with part of the glare shield being invisible depending on the state of the a/c lights. I don't remember it being as extreme as your screenshot shows though? This is the thread of the fix Dave G made :- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26276&hilit=Hs748#p291139
I use the latest model of Ricks 748 from the Rickooo site, Its been recompiled for FSX and works fine in p3dv4 The model however uses the original panel, not the latest V6 version you get on this site. It just means swaping the panel folders around.
Dale
Image Image Image

Slipstream1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Slipstream1 »

Thx Dale, I had a feeling I needed to swap panels & textures around. I'll dl the Rikooo version & try that. BTW the link to DaveG's fix is now dead.
Come to think of it you're right about it being linked to lights. It only happens if any light is switched on & that includes beacon.Strangely it's only during daylight, it's fine at night.
Cheers Paul
PAUL F.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Ok Paul, Yes that was the issue. If you flew at night or without beacons on it was ok. I thought the link maybe dead. Dave may pop by though. Check you get the proper FSX version from Rickooo There are at least 2 mdl files in the model folder. one should be interior.mdl I don't see any texture anomalies in p3dv4 just the glass in the windshield takes a bit of getting used.
Dale
Yes I remember the rear facing seats on the Trident. I never liked flying, going backwards. Last flight in a Trident for me was Trieste to LHR. We should have flown out of Venice but was fogbound. The pax were bussed to Trieste. No hot meal but free bar instead :)

edit : just checked Rickooo a/c There are 6 model folders with 2 mdl files 1 for the model and 1 for the VC Only one panel though so if you want the 2A and 2B panels you will need to cut and paste, not forgetting the HS748 cab
Image Image Image

Slipstream1
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Slipstream1 »

Great Dale, that's helpful. At least the problem is confirmed which is half the solution, so rather than run about on a wild goose chase I now know it's solvable.

Might be a while before I can apply it because I'm currently trying to get my poor head around BAE146 FMC & what I need to fly realistic SIDs & STAR's.
Free bar was a great way to enjoy flying. :cheers: Free champagne at a private crew party on the top deck of a 747 was memorable for me, if pressed I might tell the story one day.
Paul
PAUL F.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Just wondering if we have identical viscounts, my folder doesn't appear to have anything in ANSETT colours but it is certainly the Rick Piper/Fraser MacKay version.

What version of FSX are you running and what basic OS?

Not going to go into my assorted RW flights (mainly just jumpseat but including hand flying a BAE ATP) because there are too many ;)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.