Frightning!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Frightning!

Post by Silversim »

It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Frightning!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Gina, great minds think alike for I just tried it but although the exterior of the a/c is very good was not really happy with the cockpit, I am not a modeller and would have difficulty even trying to get a cockpit looking like one but having sat in the Lightning when in the RAF and at air museums I do tend to look for some realism in the cockpit layout and unfortunately, it does not represent that.

As for flying the a/c was landed at about 160kts due to the aerodynamics of the thing but on trying I found that it wallowed quite a lot on approach and although I did land I knew then why it was called the Frightning!! :lol:

As for the aerodynamics of this model I cannot comment but for the moment I no longer fly it.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 18:45
Hi Gina, great minds think alike for I just tried it but although the exterior of the a/c is very good was not really happy with the cockpit, I am not a modeller and would have difficulty even trying to get a cockpit looking like one but having sat in the Lightning when in the RAF and at air museums I do tend to look for some realism in the cockpit layout and unfortunately, it does not represent that.

As for flying the a/c was landed at about 160kts due to the aerodynamics of the thing but on trying I found that it wallowed quite a lot on approach and although I did land I knew then why it was called the Frightning!! :lol:

As for the aerodynamics of this model I cannot comment but for the moment I no longer fly it.

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel,

I have to agree re the cockpit, and yes, not a true representation.

My last hours on a Lightning were back in FS2004 days, probably about 6+years ago *-) ...I won't park it up just yet....until I can fly a stable approach at least :lol: .....the famous quote still holds true..."I was with it all the way until I released the brakes"..... ;)

Regards
Gina

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

the famous quote still holds true..."I was with it all the way until I released the brakes"..... ;)
Yes, it is indeed a famous quote in which a new young pilot said after his very first flight in the lightning as there were no 2 seat trainers in his day :lol:

One very good book to read is called Lightning Boys by Richard Pike, each chapter contains pilots' stories of their time in the cockpit. Well worth reading.

One of our instructors in the gliding club Chris Watson was a lightning pilot stationed at RAF Binbrook and whilst on an exercise he shot down a glider, not literally but with his camera gun and when asked why he did that on a glider he said it was in our patrol area. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Nigel H-J wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 16:36
the famous quote still holds true..."I was with it all the way until I released the brakes"..... ;)
Yes, it is indeed a famous quote in which a new young pilot said after his very first flight in the lightning as there were no 2 seat trainers in his day :lol:

One very good book to read is called Lightning Boys by Richard Pike, each chapter contains pilots' stories of their time in the cockpit. Well worth reading.

One of our instructors in the gliding club Chris Watson was a lightning pilot stationed at RAF Binbrook and whilst on an exercise he shot down a glider, not literally but with his camera gun and when asked why he did that on a glider he said it was in our patrol area. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I'll have to dust off "Lightning Boys" and give it another read :agree: ....also recommended: "Lightning from the Cockpit" by Peter Caygill, the appendices includes the Flight Reference Cards applicable to the F.1 & F.1A, one of my cherished books :)

Regards,
Gina

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

also recommended: "Lightning from the Cockpit" by Peter Caygill, the appendices includes the Flight Reference Cards applicable to the F.1 & F.1A, one of my cherished books :)
Many thanks Gina that book sounds excellent, will buy it in the near future.

Regards
Nigel.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I have to say that the exterior model is very beautiful, but I have been quite unable to come to terms with the flight dynamics . There seems to be a heavy nose-down moment on the ground created by afterburning so that it is difficult if not impossible to get the aircraft to rotate without throttling back. In association with this ( or is it something different ) if one gets the speed even marginally below 200 kias on the approach ,( flap and gear down ) more or less incurable sink develops in the last stages from about 700 feet agl and this is not halted but worsened by application of thrust which again creates a strong nose down pitch . I cannot believe that they were this difficult to fly . Perhaps the dynamics will be tweaked in due course

PS I was a bit surprised at criticism of the cockpit, because although it is simpler than the real thing ( F3) the essentials seem to be approximately in the right place . I thought it was a good stab at what in reality is an appallingly complex cockpit - particularly the Rover 2000 style strip speedo !

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

PS I was a bit surprised at criticism of the cockpit, because although it is simpler than the real thing ( F3) the essentials seem to be approximately in the right place . I thought it was a good stab at what in reality is an appallingly complex cockpit - particularly the Rover 2000 style strip speedo !
OK, I might have been a bit harsh with my review but still stand by it unfortunately, I suppose like many others I have become accustomed to some very good cockpits and flight decks notibally from here as well as X-Plane 11 but having been in the cockpit I just cannot see that lightning being the same. The Rover style ASI is a good representation but other switches are unfortunately misplaced. Apparently T/O was about 200kts and over the threshold was around 150kts with the approach speed being 170kts, (just gleaned that from listening to Cliff Spinks description of flying the Lightning on Youtube).

I know if Peter M comes along he can quantify on this as he was a simulator instructor on the Lightning so he is the best person to advise on performance etc.

I don't criticise any-one who has made a huge effort to bring the community something to fly but I was just stating my own view regarding the cockpit. As for the handling I found it extremely difficult and would be great if some-one who has the payware version in FSX or P3d share some information on it.

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

There's a new version out (released 6th March). Might be worth a go?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I tried it and now it is back in the hanger, Take-off at 200kts so far so good, but landing anything below 200kts and the nose drops drastically and you cannot pull it up so applied full power with re-heat and the nose lifted before hitting the ground! :doh: Lined up for landing at 200kts then reduced power for touchdown nose came down and the landing was down then up then down.........Definitely grounded this aircraft!!

Shame but cannot fly something unflyable.

Regards
Nigel.