HU! Fsx Blackburn Beverley

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: HU! Fsx Blackburn Beverley

Post by Filonian »

Cheers Brian :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Probably I am being a bit too harsh on the cockpit but there is a Blackburn Beverley cockpit at the Newark Air Museum which I had been in and TBH the cockpit shown on the screenshots is nothing like the real one.

Throttles are same side to the pilots as in the Shackleton i.e. left side of captains seat and right side of co-pilots seat. The yoke is different as are some more things but having said all that, I could not match any aircraft designers work and usually hate to criticise anybody's' work but the cockpit is so different from the real one and would have thought a bit more time spent on research might have been better. The Mark C1 at Newark is just like the photographs in the link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photogr ... SebqM0QSZM:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

The Beverley model has been updated...here's a screenie of the updated VC.
I see what you mean about the differences between the model and the real Beverley. *-)

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I'm another who has no right to criticise.
Maybe our Larry can find out why so much effort went into panels which don't seem to represent photos on the net?
The model uses two different yokes, but neither look like any photos that I've seen.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Airspeed wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 04:25
I'm another who has no right to criticise.
Maybe our Larry can find out why so much effort went into panels which don't seem to represent photos on the net?
The model uses two different yokes, but neither look like any photos that I've seen.
Larry's help would be much appreciated. I wonder if Manfred modeled his Beverley after an odd ball tucked away in a museum? :dunno:

Brian

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I can't speak for another modeller's methods but I know that I strive for accuracy whenever possible as it just irks me when I can't get a part right or worse still I can't find any evidence of what a part looks like and then I have to MacGyiver something that looks like it might be right/period/believable.

There are several aircraft, either released or currently being worked on, where I have spent upwards of $30 per aircraft to obtain either pilot's operating handbooks or service/maintenance manuals in order to build the model more accurately and then release the model as freeware at a financial loss to myself. I have asked for donations to cover research costs in every aircraft I have released and yet the total monies raised have not covered the cost of manuals purchased yet and that cash-flow system is hard to sustain on a disability pension!

As we have seen there are multiple sources for information online and each developer has to decide how accurate he/she wants to be. At the end of the day we are talking about a freeware model and the old adage of "It's free and if you don't like it then delete it" still applies!

One the other hand, if it were a payware model then customers would have a right to complain about inaccuracies IMHO and that is one of the reasons why I still only make freeware models. I don't want to deal with cries of "this isn't right" or "that isn't right" after I've taken their money so "if you don't like it then delete it" works for me!
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Larry, regarding my post where I wrote: I could not match any aircraft designers work and usually hate to criticise anybody's' work but the cockpit is so different from the real one and would have thought a bit more time spent on research might have been better. The Mark C1 at Newark is just like the photographs in the link.

I very rarely criticise other developers' work especially those who do it free but at the same time I would not like to think that I have upset you regarding the cockpit layout of the Beverley, it certainly is not my intention to do so. At the time I noticed a very big difference of the cockpit modelling to that of the real aircraft and quite simply I just put my thoughts down in writing and had I known your thoughts I would have refrained from posting so please accept my apologise.

Regards
Nigel.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Nigel H-J wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 19:39
I would not like to think that I have upset you regarding the cockpit layout of the Beverley, it certainly is not my intention to do so.
You've not upset me at all Nigel and I was actually writing in answer to Mike and Brian's comments where they referenced me by name and asked for my 2p's worth. I found the cockpit layout strange too and wondered why Manfred did it that way but it's his model and he can do it his way if he wants to. Will I still fly it.....yes as there is nothing else like it. If it bothered me too much I would simply put it down to extensive 'field modifications' and carry on!

Life is too short and unpredictable to fret over things like the placement of gauges or the shape of the yokes on a virtual aircraft for a flight sim. There are way more important things to get upset over IMHO especially with regard to the current world health problems and the issues facing my neighbors to the south!
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Larry, from the way you had written that post I actually thought you had been one of the main contributors to its' build. :$

Regards
Nigel.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

The answer was staring us in the face. A case of :rtfm: .
This explains why the beautiful work has the equally beautiful but mysterious cockpit.
I couldn't actually find the re-worker's name in the notes, though it seems to be attributed to Manfred Jahn by everyone.

From the Readme:
Couldn't find the 'DVC' mentioned, MDLX reads an empty object. No specific recomendations
for a sustitute VC, I've been using a stripped down(save space by removing exteriors)VC
from Jen's C-124 Globbies.