Getting Ready...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Getting Ready...

Post by petermcleland »

Understood Nigel...I’ll let you know how it all goes for me. I got a pleasing message today to tell me my work station furniture will arrive on Wednesday morning. So I’ll be busy putting that together and fitting the new computer, monitor and flight controls in place !

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

TSR2 wrote:
31 May 2020, 14:51
Great to see you back Peter, and your preparations look well advanced. What specification did you go for with the PC? Are you using your existing monitor set up?

All the best,

Ben

Hi Ben...Chillblast Fusion Custom PC ...INTEL Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores/16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0 GHz. Noctus NH-D15 Cooler...
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
ASUS ROG STRIX Gaming Motherboard
RAM 32 GB DDR4 3000Mhz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)
Corsair RM650x80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU
500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCle Solid State Drive

OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor 34” ASUS MX34VQ QHD 810mm by 456mm Curved Gaming Monitor
Logitech MK270 Cordless Keyboard and Mouse.
Last edited by petermcleland on 01 Jun 2020, 12:57, edited 5 times in total.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

TSR2 wrote:
31 May 2020, 14:51
Great to see you back Peter, and your preparations look well advanced. What specification did you go for with the PC? Are you using your existing monitor set up?

All the best,

Ben

Hi Ben...Chillblast Fusion Custom PC ...INTEL Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores/16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0 GHz. Noctus NH-D15 Cooler...
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
ASUS ROG STRIX Gaming Motherboard
RAM 32 GB DDR4 3000Mhz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)
Corsair RM650x80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU
500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCle Solid State Drive

OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor 34” ASUS MX34VQ QHD 810mm by 456mm Curved Gaming Monitor
Logitech MK270 Cordless Keyboard and Mouse.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I would be very interested to hear of your comments/views of MS2020 though very much doubt they will be negative. I am sure that MS will now have learn't quite a few lessons after the release of FSX and having to rectify it by releasing the Acceleration Pack to restore performance even though they made a charge for it! :rant:

This is one of the biggest problems with some developers, they have spent a small fortune in developing a game/simulation and are under a lot of pressure to release it to the public before it is ready. I know with Team Fusion who are developing Cliffs of Dover Blitz and also working on a soon to be release of version 5 North Africa Campaign that they had come under a lot of pressure from the software company 1C who own the original CoD but under an agreement TF were allowed access on the coding of CoD and have been busy ever since and have in the past come under pressure from 1C to release the new package and they have refused stating we do it our way or not at all or something similar, they are all volunteers from all over the world who are determined to make the new release successful. Wish other companies had the same way of thinking.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/teamfusionm ... e_internal

BTW Peter, before MS2020 is released will you be going back to flying in FSX or P3D?

Wow, just seen your setup Peter, absolutely brilliant!! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I think I will probably put my old P3D on an expansion drive and use that till the release Nigel...I don’t want to clutter the solid state drive...I will be keeping my office etc on my old machine...the new machine will be just for MS2020...I’ll put a couple of pictures up when I’ve finished setting up the new machine.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Peter, will look forward to seeing them.

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That’s an excellent spec Peter, and you won’t be disappointed with the Samsung drives. If it hasn’t been done for you, you need to make sure you install the Samsung NVMe driver and the Samsung “magician” software. The over provisioning function will reduce drive capacity by 10% but it will greatly improve the performance and longevity of the drive.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Ben, I think I will find that it has been done for me...The machine was carefully stress tested after build and all the manuals for the various components came with the machine...I expect when I fire it up I will find several things have been installed for me and I think I will just have to install some Anti Virus.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Peter, regarding anti-virus Chris (AKA Charlie Bravo)pointed me to Bitdefender which has a very good rating and is well worth buying. It presently has very good offer on at the moment, 50% off!!

My opinion? I am very very happy with it (have Internet Security) and offer or no offer when it comes to renewal I will still purchase it.

Techradar rate it as the best for 2020:https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/best-antivirus

https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/media/htm ... gL_nfD_BwE

Regards
Nigel.