Comet 4b. How to start from cold and dark

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Comet 4b. How to start from cold and dark

Post by Fortiesman »

Hello
For some years I have very much enjoyed David's Comet. I have decided to have a go at starting from cold and dark, but I cannot find any step by step instructions on how to do this.
I have looked at the Comets files in the shared files folder of FSX but though it has tips on flying etc there isn't any on C and D start.
Does anyone know where I can find how to start this wonderful Comet please.?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Comet 4b. How to start from cold and dark

Post by Vc Ten »

HI Fortiesman.
There's not really a way of starting cold and dark, as such, on David's Comet The battery seems to always default to on whenever the model is selected, even if the default startup aircraft has all systems switched off. I suppose you could try saving a flight with battery, inverters and fuel cocks switched off, and load that up, see if the systems remain in the saved state.
I would start up : Battery on. Inverters on ( don't think there is a avionics switch) Low pressure fuelcocks on. Master starter switch on. Engine selector to 1 ( I usually start 1 to 4) Press start @ 300 rpm hp cock 1 on. Wait until stable, then repeat 2 to 4
David's Comet is the "lightest" system wise of his models, but flys well and still stands up against current payware. With work, she will run in P3d and I fly her in P3d v5.
Dale
2020-6-11_21-27-28-367.jpg
2020-6-11_21-27-28-367.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Image Image Image

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chrisal »

Hi. I'd given up trying to get the comets to work in the later p3d versions. Most of the switches and knobs did not respond to the mouse. If you've got it working I'll give it another go!
Can you confirm?
Cheers
Chris

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

It needs converting to native fsx at least (separate interior model) and 64 bit sound dll I have no problems with clicking on knobs or switches in vc or 2 d panels The only problems I have is nav lights won't turn off, and landing lights are poor. Both could probably resolved by passing it through Model converter X again and having another fiddle . But she does me as is, and as I said looks and fly's well
Dale
Image Image Image

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chrisal »

Ah. Well that's out of my skill set I'm afraid!
I did download the Model converter once but did not have the patience to learn the process. I don't suppose you know of a good practical user guide for it do you?
Cheers
Chris

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Search Tom Gibson, Cal classics
Here you go https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... LPAYZ_owdf
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The switches should work, but the trick is to go to the 2D panel first, then switch back to the VC.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chrisal »

I've given it a good go with Tom Gibson's guide but while I can get the exterior to display pretty well with moving surfaces, I cannot get the VC to show in the Sim (P3Dv5).
I've tried exporting them separately and putting both into the model.cfg file. Also I've tried merging them in the Exporter and exported the combined file but again no VC visible in the sim.

It's a pity. Years ago I spent a whole winter creating an fde based on actual Comet data I managed to get hold of. It would be nice to fly her again!
Chris

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

This is what you need to end up with. You must process the CometFs9 mdl file twice. First time to create the exterior, set the bounding box and attachment points etc. Then a second time to create a separate mdl file for the interior.
I would like to be able to send you a copy of the files but its not my model to distribute :(
Dale
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
(252.25 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
Image Image Image

chrisal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chrisal »

Hi again,
Thanks to your advice (and Tom's guide) I've now the the Comet 4 working pretty well. Thanks all round!
One thing I don't understand - David's model has 2 sets of flaps - Inboard and Outboard with different travel and angles. In the Converter the inboard set work fine in FS9 form of course, but they use a "name" that is not available in FSX/P3D. This is "l_cpt_trail_edge_flap1" and "r_cpt_trail_edge_flap1"
The outboard sections use "l_flap_percent_key" and convert fine.
Is there a way to find out the new equivalent name - or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Cheers
Chris