Imagine my surprise...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Imagine my surprise...

Post by TSR2 »

When this showed up on flight radar. I thought all the Seakings had been withdrawn from use?
DE8F1E97-0F40-48F4-9972-138B78C959C6.jpeg
DE8F1E97-0F40-48F4-9972-138B78C959C6.jpeg (100.49 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Imagine my surprise...

Post by Airspeed »

No take off reported, so does that mean it was same as the landing point?
Maybe it was just being moved across the airfield?

spot
Trident
Trident

Post by spot »

Hi Ben
There is an article in Pilot magazine about XV666 operated by HeliOperations at RNAS Portland. Apparently there are two more there or at Yeovilton something to do with training German navy pilots. :)

Brian
Low and slow, the way to go ;)

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Coincidentally, I saw the very same aircraft when I had a brief visit to Weymouth a couple of weeks ago! It had indeed just taken off from Portland. I grew up in Weymouth but moved away over twenty years ago. I remember the Sea Kings were a constant presence overhead, so much so that you stopped paying attention! I had a couple of memorable flights over the town in Sea Kings with the Air Cadets and spent my work experience with 772 Squadron at RNAS Portland/HMS Osprey. I too was very surprised to see one actually flying over Weymouth after all these years. A rare and enjoyable sight of something I once took for granted :thumbsup:

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Just to confirm the aircraft are operated by HeliOps for training foreign crews from their base at Portland. That's on the site of what was, over 20 years ago now, RNAS Portland but is now totally privately owned. So no UK military involvement as such.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks for the info guys. Are they still on the military register though?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I believe so, they're essentially flying under military contractor regulations as it allows them to operate in the low flying system etc. and I'm not sure if the type is cleared to fly on the civvy register other than under permit to fly regulations which wouldn't allow them to fly with more than 4 people I think.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

SkippyBing wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 14:36
I believe so, they're essentially flying under military contractor regulations as it allows them to operate in the low flying system etc. and I'm not sure if the type is cleared to fly on the civvy register other than under permit to fly regulations which wouldn't allow them to fly with more than 4 people I think.
Hi skip

They have been on civ register before ( G - AYTU was one, before transfer to mil marks) ; I would think the issue is more to do with EASA regulations on ex mil aeroplanes, which can be, shall we say, somewhat onerous. Easier all round to keep them on mil marks.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.