BAC 1-11 510ED autopilot

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

BAC 1-11 510ED autopilot

Post by OZflyer »

Quick question regarding this one. Slightly different panel and A/P to the other One Eleven models. The autopilot has a V/S wheel that doesnt seem to do anything. Is that normal for this one? I noticed also the manual seems to refer to the other models and autopilot system.

Any help appreciated for these super cool add-ons!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: BAC 1-11 510ED autopilot

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes it does work. https://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/html/1-11/Manual_AP.htm
Scroll down to the 510 autopilot description.
I usually set the altitude to cruise alt or height restiction if preferred, and switch the lock / acquire, to acquire as preflight prep. Set flight director to on, and set hdg to runway heading on the HSI. I usually preset the speed to 245 kts to prevent me going overspeed below 10,000ft.
After takeoff, and stable climb, hit autopilot 1&2 on, AZ master on, and Height to engage. I then control the rate of climb on the pitch up/down. . Set to around 2000 ft min. Depends on weight/ temps. Back the throttle off, once clean, Engage speed, leaving throttle set to throttle. I leave top temps switched on at all time, you will kill the engines if they get too hot. Watch the throttle vs rate of climb and back off the rate of climb as you gain altitude ( usually 1000 ft min by 25000 ft) or your speed will quickly decay.
It's still one of the best sim models imho
Dale
Image Image Image

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

Vc Ten wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 21:36
Yes it does work. https://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/html/1-11/Manual_AP.htm
Scroll down to the 510 autopilot description.
I usually set the altitude to cruise alt or height restiction if preferred, and switch the lock / acquire, to acquire as preflight prep. Set flight director to on, and set hdg to runway heading on the HSI. I usually preset the speed to 245 kts to prevent me going overspeed below 10,000ft.
After takeoff, and stable climb, hit autopilot 1&2 on, AZ master on, and Height to engage. I then control the rate of climb on the pitch up/down. . Set to around 2000 ft min. Depends on weight/ temps. Back the throttle off, once clean, Engage speed, leaving throttle set to throttle. I leave top temps switched on at all time, you will kill the engines if they get too hot. Watch the throttle vs rate of climb and back off the rate of climb as you gain altitude ( usually 1000 ft min by 25000 ft) or your speed will quickly decay.
It's still one of the best sim models imho
Dale

Thanks for the help but I still don't see how it controls V/S? I engage lock / acquire yet the V/S wheel doesn't control vertical speed at all. The only way to manage climb is to use the trim or hand fly I've noticed. :dunno:

Usually I'll just trim for a speed - 250 / 300 kts etc and adjust it as I near the cruise altitude then engage the Height lock to maintain the altitude. Then I do the same on descent. I;m not sure what 'top temps' are, but I just maintain 94% as per the manual on that upper engine gauge above the RPM for the climb which seems to work.

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

Vc Ten wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 21:36
After takeoff, and stable climb, hit autopilot 1&2 on, AZ master on, and Height to engage.
Also that one I don't get as any time I do that it just levels off at the current altitude which is how I use it if I need to level off for a restriction or cruise altitude.
Even more confused. *-)

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

Ok I need to hang my head in shame. :hide:
I didn't engage BOTH acquire and Height lock so it didn't seem to want the V/S wheel working like that. :doh:

My apologies Dale. I owe you one. :cheers:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Great :thumbsup:
Glad you got it working. I wondered if you had a corrupt install
Dale
Image Image Image

OZflyer
Chipmunk