Trident optimum cruise altitude?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Trident optimum cruise altitude?

Post by PeteP »

No, Chris, I don't but even after all this time I still remember listening in horror to the quality of a London Volmet South broadcast for the same reason. If I as a native speaker of English had trouble understanding it, heaven alone knows how foreign pilots managed!
Pete

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

dfarrow wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 13:17
PP , very small world , just 2 mins ago finished an email reply to Chas !
A very small world, indeed, Dave. Thanks for the news on Chas and the next time you're in contact, please do pass on my best wishes.

Yes I was involved, and still am, with the Lightning sim at Tangmere. I was one of the team of 3 who put it together. The banging and hammering were done by one of the museum's engineers, the clever electronic bits and pieces that allow us too use the original flying controls, gear and flap switches etc. with a modern computer were done by a retired West Drayton Air Traffic Engineer and I did the graphics and software.

Originally it was FS2004 but since the end of 2012 I've used various versions of P3D. I've just updated it to V5.1 together with a commercial version (costing a small fortune) of ORBX Great Britain South. I've never seen it running so smoothly as with that combination - what a shame there are no visitors at the moment to use it!

The best day to catch me at the museum is a Thursday so if you're ever passing on that day please drop in and say hello.

Pete

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

PeteP wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 15:59
No, Chris, I don't but even after all this time I still remember listening in horror to the quality of a London Volmet South broadcast for the same reason. If I as a native speaker of English had trouble understanding it, heaven alone knows how foreign pilots managed!
Pete
Pete : ah yes, that will be the one . It was "oktas " , where he always sounded as though he had swallowed his tonsils, which I particularly remember, 45 or more years on ! I wonder if Peter Mcleland and Dave Farrow remember this ?

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

CS , remember some were more clear than others ... In my early days glad I'd not have had to do it , Broad 'Naarfick dialect would not have been readily understandable . Mind you some Scotties with deep GLA accents would have been awful as well .
London Volmet still there .... might even be worse as it is a 'pooter generated voice !
Still like Oktas ... few , skc , bkn , does not convey it to me .

rgds dave f

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Pete , getting smaller ... Chas mailed this am , with vid of T2 landing BOH . Good vid , can't get my fs '04 properly into Win10. so nice to see a good vid .
I've sent your rgds , and asked if he wants to contact ..

Would love to see the Lightning in flt , maybe have a go ! Was a spotter at Coltishall in Lightning days , on my dad's shoulders on BoB day 1960 when 74sqn opened the show . Pair opposition pass along the Rwy , while we were watching that remaining a/c were in a Diamond 9 from behind the crowd , lowish , and into an afterburning climb , lots of soiled underwear . One of the T5s spotted at Colt in '67 , spotted again in Capetown in '07 .. Still airworthy .
Did not have the guts or money for a ride . Nearest was an Hunter sim in Rhodesia in '74. Flew much like a Trident 2 in speeds , att , power .

Hope to catch you at Tangmere , but at the mo. in normal times ; Thursday is a working day at CA , so generally upstairs in a Pa 28 all day .
So , would have to arrange a day with you and take a leave day when normality returns .

rgds dave f.