Trident optimum cruise altitude?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Trident optimum cruise altitude?

Post by dfarrow »

Ady , I'd heard about that on T1s . Bit before my time, T birds from '73 -to the end , Dec'85 [ inc. layoffs ].
Heard also T1s had VMO 400kts , reduced to 365 for commonality with T2s. Probably the end of using mains only as a brake was at same time .

rgds dave f.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I did a jump seat trip from LHR to GLA long ago, the crew were type rated on T1, T2 and T3.

They were flying a T1E, (T1 body with T3 engines) it was so different that they had the books out on their laps checking up everything.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Ady , Must have been towards the end when we were all '' Tridexterous '' [ honest ] . Most T1es were ex Northeast and flown by them and posted across Mainline guys .
'Mr Wu' ..aka G-ASWU was a T1e ex Cyprus Airways , same fit as BEA a/c . And retrieved from Nicosia with a stealth engineering and flight team in the dead of night , after the Turkish invasion .
Came back with bullet holes and a birds nest [ complete with eggs ] in the fin . It was put into the 1/2 fleet , one did not see her often ; hence books . But really lovely to fly , as the throttles were cranked back ; thus handling pilot could reach them and the stick comfortably , and thus [ non standardly ] do their own power setting . Improved the landings no end !

rgds dave f.

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

Awesome reading. Thanks everyone. Seems to be a recurrent theme of around FL280 initially.
A fun add-on! Not sure about slowing down to M0.80 after quite happily cruising along at M0.88! :Dance:
The Trident loves speed it seems. My kinda aircraft! :rock: :thumbsup:

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

M0.88 is definitely a bit fast, .85 to .86 is good though.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

adysmith wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 08:48
M0.88 is definitely a bit fast, .85 to .86 is good though.
I know, I couldn't help it. :agree: Wanted to see what it could do. :Dance:
Seems to be a nice balance of speed and fuel burn around the speeds you suggested.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Fascinating stuff, which brought to mind two events. The first was a delayed descent into Warton due to traffic. BAe 146 002, the old guys up front were pretty sanguine but we did have the speed brakes out until very shortly before the wheels hit the ground. Made the approach into London City quite tame by comparison.

The second was a BA 777 into Dammam, very short final and I had a good view of the runway and four reds out of my window less than a minute from touch down. I could have hailed a taxi!

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Apologies for resurecting an old thread - I'm not sure how I missed it in the first place. :dunno:
dfarrow wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 18:32

Ady , would you have known Clacton sector guys ..Chas Davis ? perchance ..
Dave,
Not Ady but I knew Chas Davis well - we worked together at LATCC for many years and we were crew chiefs on the same watch for a couple of them. I don't recall seeing him at Swanwick so I guess he must have taken retirement when West Drayton closed in 2002.

Apart from the 6 years in the 1990s that I spent sitting in a big office and wearing a suit to work, my haunts from 1973 for the next 29 years were the northern sectors, TMA North, CLN, DTY, POL/IRS and NOR so I guess we must have met professionally on at least a few occasions.

Pete

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

PP , very small world , just 2 mins ago finished an email reply to Chas !
He's well and B'Mouth way . In normal times see him often , as he's a share in a J-3 Cub at Compton Abbas . And I sometimes fly with him on his Bi-ennial reval flight .
As for Northern sectors , a belated thank you for being a professional ' Westcott Snatcher ' .

Are you also involved in the Tangmere Lightning sim ? Passed by a couple of years ago while other half was doing quilting stuff in Chic'.
Asked , but you were day off then .

rgds dave f.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Pete P : do you by any chance know who did the VOLMET ( ? UK North ) tapes in the 1970s ? And do any of you remember them? There was one voice which we used to have hysterics over, because the vowels were so strangulated that we thought someone had got the chap by the proverbials !