reading the 1-11 manual

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

reading the 1-11 manual

Post by fran65 »

Hi all gentlemen,
happy and safe 21 to everyone! :cheers:

I'm reading the very pleasant Mr. Maltby's "Flying the One-Eleven". Some time I do it, I like it a lot. :agree:
At chapter 6 he recommend a mental picture of the approach path and that's ok. http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/flying_the_1-11_6.htm
My question is: when I have to start the turn for the base leg from the parallel track? Are there some rules?
Thanks a lot!
Francesco

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: reading the 1-11 manual

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Fran,
Can't help with your question, but I do wish you a happy and safe 2021, too. :thumbsup:
I'm sure that another jet user will help you soon.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Fran,

If it’s an ILS approach I tend to be lined up about 10 to 15 miles out on the 1-11, trident and VC10
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Wot E Said,

If you're doing it visually then 60 seconds after passing abeam the touchdown point. (at about 1500 above aerodrome level)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

It is , in fact, very unusual to fly a circuit in preparation for an ILS approach, but if you are doing it as per DM's method, then you need to wait until you are at an angle of about 30 degrees to the NDB with the NDB behind you. In the example you have shown you would start your turn onto base at a QDM ( shown on the RMI ) of about 039. Your initial heading would be about 339 for a 90 degree base leg ( although in the real world you would probably aim for initial inbound at 45 degrees, requiring a heading of 024 ) . Remember that in strong winds you will need to correct for drift. Even in still air you would start your turn onto final rather before that shown in the example of waiting until you had a QDM of 069, because that would inevitably result in your overshooting the localiser of the ILS

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

Post by fran65 »

...thankyou for tips and wishes: this forum is a nice place to stay, I knew it! ;)
Ciao! :hello:
Francesco