David Maltbys Trident. Autoland question

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

David Maltbys Trident. Autoland question

Post by Fortiesman »

Hello.
Recently got the hang of the autoland. However, today on finals got ATC instruction to Go Around.
I knocked off the auto speed and throttled,up, but the action stopped as if I had crashed.
What did I do wrong.
Thanks

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: David Maltbys Trident. Autoland question

Post by Nigel H-J »

I knocked off the auto speed and throttled,up, but the action stopped as if I had crashed.
What did I do wrong.
Thanks
All I can think of from your post is that instead of knocking off auto speed you should cancel autopilot first then airspeed and take over manually.

I could be wrong but if Peter Mcleland sees this post he is one of the best persons to answer you question as he actually flew them with BEA.

If not, then hopefully another member might be able to answer.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Think you’re right mate. Auto land / autopilot are separate from auto throttle. Kicking auto throttle off wouldn’t stop the aircraft’s autopilot / auto land system from trying to land the aircraft
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

How it works in the sim is different to how it worked in reality.

Turn the Prime switch to OFF.

Click the MACH/IAS/Throttle engage button OFF (disconnects autothrottle) then re-engage (goes into IAS mode) and manually advance the throttles.

Remember to re-engage ACQuire mode for altitude (you DID set go around altitude once established on glide path didn't you?) and navigate laterally as necessary for the MAP or as instructed by ATC.

In reality if you either pressed G/A on the throttles or manually pushed them forward it would disengage ILS and autothrottle and climb, because you have a low IAS set and high power set.

Peter will correct me if I got details of the reality version wrong.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I test flew that yesterday, going by the procedure I wrote above I commenced the go around at 50 feet, and the wheels still contacted the runway!

So, second version, when you want to go around simply disconnect autopilot and pitch up slightly to climb, autothrottle will advance to maintain speed.

Reduce flaps from 45 to 23 and dial the autothrottles up to at least 175. Once you have a positive rate of climb retract wheels then accelerate and clean up as per normal.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Hi guys , 'fraid brain won't remember the G/A procedure for th Trid . Sorry , it was 35 yrs ago that I last flew a T3. However , I'll be ringing a mate in a few days who still has the T2 Flying manual [ he's saving it for the T3 G-AWZU at Staverton museum ] . Hopefully he can look it up .
Don't forget we could do approachs down to 12 feet radio ht. in 75m. vis . A G/A from that would almost always touch the runway , never had to , but were trained to expect RWY contact on G/A .
An auto G/A would normally be flown [ if memory serves ] needing power on , nose up , Land flap retracted to App. flap , engaging A/P speed lock , Alt aquire , and disconnecting the approach mode to allow heading to be used . Still remember Boeing G/A terminology [ 6 Boeings , mostly all the same words , and the possibility of RWY touch ] but not dH/HS .

rgds dave f.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

P.S. don't forget the noise abatement power reduction at 90 secs. [ at most places , GVA maybe 65 secs. ]

Df .

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Fortiesman »

Thank you everyone.
Will be trying things with interest!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, :hello: was the 90 second rule started at brake release or rotation? I have heard that it was a black mark on any crew who exceeded the 90 seconds so how was it monitored?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Nigel , Seem to remember it was 90 secs. from start of roll , Conc was similar . Auto noise monitoring sites [NMS] around the vicinity of LHR . Elsewhere , don't know ; but it was SOP to be a good neighbour .
If someone rang the bell at the NMS , think 't skipper got an invite to explain why ! GVA , maybe the airline got fined ... just another Swiss tax .

rgds dave f.