AI in MSFS2020

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

AI in MSFS2020

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Guys,

I figured I'd start some FS related discussion on here as there seems to be a lot of anger on other forums.

I'm having a go at some AI in MSFS since Don has AIFP working with the new sim. I've taken an old WOAI Flybe 146, converted it (for my own personal use) using plane converter, and changed the textures to DDS using imagetool.exe from the FSX SDK. I've set all of the aircraft in the traffic file to be paints of the 146 and created a model.texture for each of the textures and amended the aircraft.cfg accordingly, but no joy. I've also updated the layout.json file too. This is very much a learning exercise for me so I'm keen to hear if anyone else has managed it, and if so how.

I've taken some screenshots below of my community folder structure and the aircraft.cfg in case anyone can spot a glaring error.
Screenshot 2021-03-31 213816.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-31 213816.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Screenshot 2021-03-31 213914.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-31 213914.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Screenshot 2021-03-31 214020.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-31 214020.jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Screenshot 2021-03-31 214048.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-31 214048.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: AI in MSFS2020

Post by DaveG »

I haven't looked at AI myself, but I seem to remember there is an entry in the aircraft.cfg that controls whether an aircraft is usable as AI or not. I'm not at the PC at the moment, but have a look at one of the default aircraft, that may hold a clue.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers Dave,

Had a look, there are a couple of lines in the aircraft.cfg which I've added to the 146...

Code: Select all

isAirTraffic = 1 ; Is the plane usable for air traffic
isUserSelectable = 0 ; Is the plane selectable by the user
I've also copied and pasted the ai.cfg from the A320, not sure if this is required though. The A320 is interesting, the default paint has isAirTraffic=0, but the other paints are =1. It does have a panel folder though, but I suspect that doesn't make a difference for AI... but who knows.

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

So I tried replacing the 146's with the Rapide... and it shows up of a fashion :lol: I guess that 146 AI model is maybe FS9 vintage, so I'll have another play tomorrow..
2021-04-01.jpg
2021-04-01.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Yes, it'll need to be a fsx native model to show.
Dave G.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Interested to see how you get on with it Ben. Easy enough to push it through MCX to make it native. Think I would want to do a full conversion then, with Legacy converter to get rid of the air file Use the files for the default bus to compare . Pity the other most of the models are encrypted.
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It’s a learning exercise for me tbh. I’m a fan of the encryption. For years people have been ripping off developers work, so at least now they have some protection. It was actually the global shipping pack that got me looking at it again, as they are all FSX models and I didn’t really see any notable change in performance. I’m just trying to make my airports a little more interesting so the old models included with my old WOAI packs will do nicely.

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Take your point re the encryption, but that's OK if the model works and performs as it should out of the box. None of the default aircraft fit that catagory, and for the average simmer the encryption makes it impossible to tune. Interestingly the Aerosoft crj bought from the marketplace is encripted ( so I hear on forums) whereas bought direct from Aerosoft its not
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It’s a difficult balance. I think all new aircraft bought through the marketplace are encrypted now? I might be wrong, but it justifies Microsoft’s cut of the sale I suppose. Given the amount of effort that the guys are having to put into learning the new ways, it’s important that they can protect that investment. In theory that should mean less piracy, more sales, and more likelihood stuff that’s a little less mainstream than an A320 or 737 will actually get made.
When DM, Rick, Fraser, DG, etc where working on models back in FS9 there were loads of developers making the obscure models. But the truth is the payware guys who were doing it for a living where having their models stolen within an hour of them being released and put up on the web. As a result most of them gave up. And those that didn’t gave up doing interesting aircraft. Then with FSX and P3D more complex models/ systems were possible and more detail became expected. The time taken to develop freeware models for the later sims was such that it was a Labour of love for many freeware developers who were then criticised for not having this or that system modelled. At which point, some members of the community destroyed the enthusiasm that those people had.

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sorry for the delay. I've been dipping in and out of this. So it seems that the Rapides in the screenshot weren't appearing because of the flight plan I had put in.

The code below seems to allow MSFS to use these Aircraft / Paints in its own AI flightplans. More digging to be done. I have the offline only AI selected, but it somehow seems to know to send AI aircraft to even custom airports that I have built which are in the default Sim.

Code: Select all

isAirTraffic = 1 ; Is the plane usable for air traffic
isUserSelectable = 0 ; Is the plane selectable by the user

ImageImageImage