Spitfire engines

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

What engine is the best for the Supermarine Spitfire?

Poll ended at 13 Jan 2006, 13:19

Rolls Royce Merlin
87%
Rolls Royce Griffon
13%

Total votes: 30

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

MERLIN! The griffon was a great engine but the name spitfire is forever tied to the Merlin .

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Kevin wrote:Hi guys,

My Dad flew Spitfires operationally during the war, from the Mk I to the Mk VIII and IX, and post-war flew the Mk 22, with the Griffon.

He tells me that from the pure flying point of view, the Mk V with a Merlin 55 was the nicest 'pilot's aeroplane'. However, as an aeroplane to fight with, the Mk VIII with a Merlin 66 is his choice.

The later, Griffon-powered aircraft became progressively more of a handful, and many would agree that much of the character of the aeroplane changed as more power became available. However, the gain in performance kept the aircraft in the front line for another five years or so and enabled it to keep up with the first-generation jets.

All in all, it's not really a valid question, for reasons that Dave B has stated.

Kevin
I must agree with you there Kevin.That's exactly as I've heard it.
The V was a joy to "just" fly,but for a fighter it didn't come much better that the VIII.After the VIII was the airframe that was designed to use the Merlin 60 series from the outset.The IX was basically a Mk V airframe modified to take a Merlin 60 series.

Mark :smt020
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

fs addict
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by fs addict »

Thanks to everyone who voted. I was sure that the Merlin would win. The comments were very nteresting. Again all my thanks to the poeple of the only forum for Classic British Aircraft.
To invent an airplane is nothing, to build an airplane is something, but to fly is everything.