Spitfire engines

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

What engine is the best for the Supermarine Spitfire?

Poll ended at 13 Jan 2006, 13:19

Rolls Royce Merlin
87%
Rolls Royce Griffon
13%

Total votes: 30

fs addict
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Spitfire engines

Post by fs addict »

Hi,

Me and my mate were having a discussion. So please vote for the engine you think is better. The RR Merlin or RR Griffon? Look forward to seeing the results of the poll.
To invent an airplane is nothing, to build an airplane is something, but to fly is everything.

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Heart says Merlin. Spitfire and Merlin just seem to go together so well...

Even though the Griffon was the better engine, anything used to push tanks through mud just shouldn't really cut it in such a beautiful aeroplane.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It's all relative mate.

The Merlin was the original and the one that got the Spit through the BoB. The Griffon was a much different beast fitted to later models and gave increased performance to cope with the Spits ever increasing weight problem so you can't really say which was better as the one was developed from the other. The newer engine certainly wouldn't have been worse (and wasn't) so unless it's sound you're asking about, it's a bit of a duff question :wink: Sounds are purely personal so that argument is ruled out too!! 8)

DaveB :smt025
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Griffon by far for me. I prefer the roar to the purr of the Merlin.

fs addict
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by fs addict »

I apologise as I have just noticed I have posted this topic on the wrong section, it should have been in the E&S. Sorry :oops:
To invent an airplane is nothing, to build an airplane is something, but to fly is everything.

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

The "Merlin Crackle" for me every every time.
Seafire/Spitty,Hurri,Lanc or whatever,I aren't bothered.

After all the Merlin Crackle WAS Ray Hanna's signiture tune :grin: :grin:

The Merlin Spit/Seafires are nice to fly,the Griffon series are an altogether different brute.
Speed,power,vicious handling and prop torque.I like to fly the Mk.14,but boy, it needs carefull work to take off and land in one piece,but once you're airborne and at low-level it is good fun and very flies-on-teeth.

Mark
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

buff
Viscount
Viscount

Post by buff »

Yep. i aggree the merlin for me, sounds amazing,

and it was Ray Hanna's signature tune.

May He Rest In Peace.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I like both :grin: They sound different too, the Merlin sings but the Griffon snarls and pops :grin:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

My choice is the Merlin but it is interesting to know that one famous Spitefire pilot AVM Jonnie Johnson who flew in the Battle of Britain and throughout the war flying Spitfires once said:

"Since the Griffon-engined fighter was so different I think it should have had another name".
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Hi guys,

My Dad flew Spitfires operationally during the war, from the Mk I to the Mk VIII and IX, and post-war flew the Mk 22, with the Griffon.

He tells me that from the pure flying point of view, the Mk V with a Merlin 55 was the nicest 'pilot's aeroplane'. However, as an aeroplane to fight with, the Mk VIII with a Merlin 66 is his choice.

The later, Griffon-powered aircraft became progressively more of a handful, and many would agree that much of the character of the aeroplane changed as more power became available. However, the gain in performance kept the aircraft in the front line for another five years or so and enabled it to keep up with the first-generation jets.

All in all, it's not really a valid question, for reasons that Dave B has stated.

Kevin