New British Files Site

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Is this a good idea?

Yes
98%
No
No votes
Possibly (post why)
2%

Total votes: 45

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Sounds a good idea, and I would have thought the definitions are actually very straightforward. I would have thought to be classic it has to be something like 25years+ old (isn't that the definition used by classic car fans?) as a design (so, despite it no longer being produced the BAe 146/Avro whatever wouldn't count just yet, although it hasn't long to go) and has to have been designed and have as lead manufacturer a British owned and based company, which would ironically probably exclude Concorde. I don't think the engine plant is an issue - I think most people would regard the Jetstream as British even though it had American engines, or French for the true classicly trained. For that matter, I think everyone regards the 146/RJ as the last British built airliner despite having four American engines and largely American built wings, and Swedish tail bits as well.

In the fullness of time, the Sheds, Jetstreams and BAe 146s could creep in once people start to get nostalgic for them and they are removed from service and time moves on, in much the same way as the crock of cack BL Marina is now regarded as a classic.

The idea of a one-stop shop for British classics is great, although could I make one slight suggestion - that if possible the classic military and classic civil craft could be accessed and listed seperately? I'm thinking personally here as I don't have much interest in military aircraft, but equally there are many who can't stand civils stuff. It might make the site a bit easier to navigate for those whose interests only lie in one camp or the other, that's all.

andy

Post by andy »

Maybe the term "Classic" should have an age requirement applied to it, much the same as cars have to be a certain age before they are deemed to be vintage. :dunno:
This site would be of great interest personally, as my preference is for pre 1960's aircraft.

Canuck
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Canuck »

re the Chipmunk, I think here that the exception proves the rule. The DH1 may well have been Canadian but I think you will all agree that it is very much a British a/c in character and by my reasoning should be included. I believe The RAF received 735 Chipmunks manufactured in the UK. The rest of the DH marques imo do not have so much of this. Off hand I cannot think of any other such examples.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

markw wrote:although could I make one slight suggestion - that if possible the classic military and classic civil craft could be accessed and listed seperately? I'm thinking personally here as I don't have much interest in military aircraft, but equally there are many who can't stand civils stuff. It might make the site a bit easier to navigate for those whose interests only lie in one camp or the other, that's all.
Good idea, done.

I've now got the kind permission of Garry Russell and Dave Garwood to host their files.

Thats quite a lot... Best get on with it.

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

There is a similar site, but not dedicated to British a/c.

http://www.byteforge.com/addons/addon_history.htm

Joker
The Sock Lives! Long Live The Sock!

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

"BRITISH AIRCRAFT" .... or .... "CLASSIC BRITISH AIRCRAFT" in particular !

I'd like to think that desgination is sufficiently open to perhaps mean "AIRLINES" and not just "AIRCRAFT" as such .... meaning it doesn't need to focus exclusively upon "BRITISH BUILT AIRCRAFT" but be more global as to include those non-British classic aircraft types that have gone into "CLASSIC BRITISH AIRLINE "service. By this reference I'm meaning open to include the likes of aircraft of the following description :-

ANGLO AIR CARGO B707
BOAC CARGO B707
BRITISH AIRWAYS CARGO B707
BRITISH CALEDONIAN CARGO B707
HEAVY LIFT B707
IAS/DAN AIR B707
LAKER AIRWAYS B707
LAKER CARIBBEAN AIRWAYS B707
TRADEWINDS AIR CARGO B707
IAS DC8
TRANSMERIDIAN AIR CARGO DC8

-: and there's undoubtedly many more too .... not British built aircraft by any means, but, certainly "CLASSIC AIRCRAFT" that have none-the-less been operated in "CLASSIC BRITISH AIRLINE" service despite their foreign design and construction.

I think it would be a major error to try to restrict possibilities through maybe becomming too insular" in thinking or preferences. To be successful and and appeal more generally I believe things need to be more "global" in representation .... whilst still retaining their "BRITISH" theme of course.

In any case I feel it's great that someone is volunteering webspace for the hosting of more FS files .... and for that I feel we all have a lot to be greatful for.

As such and all other descriptions/designations aside .... I feel it should really become the exclusive/ultimate choice of the webspace provider/host to select whatever he feels appropriate to harbour on his server.

Not everyone may agree with me .... I respect that .... but .... that's just my 50 cents worth on this topic anyway.

Mark C
AKL/NZ & BOG/COL
Last edited by Mark C on 02 Mar 2006, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

I don't think that's a good idea, it would just be a reason for the site to get bloated and make it hard to find British-only aircraft.

I think only British aircraft and scenery should be allowed in. Don't forget the classics like the Tiger Moth and even things like the Sea Hurricanes package... if it's British, put it up.

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

it would just be a reason for the site to get bloated and make it hard to find British-only aircraft.
MMMMMMM .... no .... I don't think so !

If things were very carefully categeorized .... into say "CLASSIC BRITISH AIRCRAFT" and "OTHER CLASSIC AIRCRAFT IN BRITISH SERVICE" .... and the website supported by and inventory/list of subjects featuring all categeories represented (as most good websites already are) then that should be more than sufficient to avoid "bloating and search difficulties".

Again I feel it's the ultimate choice of the host/provider of course.

It's nice to know he's sufficiently demorcratic as to encourage commentary along the lines of what people would like to see (he's probably opened up "PANDORA's BOX" there :lol:) and it's good to know this alternative hosting may soon become available .... like a 2nd string to ones bow really.

Mark C
AKL NZ & BOG/COL

Andy B
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Andy B »

Get's my vote fella's, I think it's a good idea to centralise because some of these beauties are hard to find and not to mention the repaints. :dunno:

Are we talking seperate library for us Brits?

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Andy B wrote:Get's my vote fella's, I think it's a good idea to centralise because some of these beauties are hard to find and not to mention the repaints. :dunno:

Are we talking seperate library for us Brits?
At the moment i'm working on just getting stuff uploaded. Most of the files I have permission to use are on the server but because of flaws in the system I have to add them one at a time to the library. The thumbnails then have to be added (I could make do without them but it adds a lot to the library.

Once the few hundred I have already are on I can then start moving things about quite easily.

When it comes to deciding on categories I am undecided :roll:

I have to think about the audience I am appealing to.

Am I offering files to the small close knit community here? If so, thay already have most of the files which intrest them or do I want a wider audience? If the latter I will possibly have to offer some files which may not appeal to those here but make others stop and think. Something to wet their tastebuds for the 'proper stuff' so to speak.

Some offferings won't appeal to everyone but as long as they are clearly sorted so people can just look at what appeals, and hopefully be open to experiment with the 'dark side' I don't see a great problem.

I realise it's impossible to please everyone, thats why everyones opinions are so valued.

The site is certainally a 'beta' at the moment and will probably change quite a bit.