Victor

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Buggyman

Shame about the urban jungle bit but at least you can go back on you memories and happy days of being battered by sound waves.

Can't beat it for an awesome feeling of power

ATB

Garry
Last edited by Garry Russell on 28 Apr 2006, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

britishtourer wrote:I would have loved to hear the Lightnings...
Ah, airshows in the olden days used to be pretty spectacular; memories of Biggin Hill with 'those' Lightning takeoffs, German Starfighters doing the tightest circuits they could over the airfield (which meant they overflew Croydon and Brighton!!), the Viggens always seemed the noisiest - oh, and having your fillings shaken out, when you were at Farnborough Station, by the US Phantom way over at Farnborough proper.

Eh, what did you say young man? :k:

AndyG

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

britishtourer wrote:I remember being at the East fortune airshow and the Tornado making the ground rumble from the engine noise - it was like the day of armageddon!!
I take it you've not had the XH558 experience yet then!!!! :lol: :lol: .

On her last display at Cossie before she retired we had an almost touch and go,but for a couple of inches daylight under the mains,followed by a 45* full power climb up to around 1500' before rolling onto her left wingtip
to come around for another pass.

Boy did that full power climb off the deck make your sh*t shake :shock: :shock: :shock: .

Hopefully we'll get a repeat performance in the next couple of years :dance: :dance: .

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Victor

Post by Buggyman »

Migman

Having a house at about centreline at Leeming had its benefits when it came to airshows and displays. We were on the 'other side' of the show line and had fantastic close ups of the aircraft. We used to have a garden party for smilar noise lovers and it was very popular.

XH558 did one o her last displays at the Leeming Air Fair ('92 or 93??) and I recall the practice almost like it was yesterday. With the earth definately moving under her she reach mid runway and then up and into an immediate starbourd wing over. She was ver low as she came towards me and I did wonder if there was a problem but she pulled up into the near vertical over me and left me covered in fumes and my house gutters cleared of rubbish.

When I had recovered my senses - still in doubt i I ever did - I looked over to the Tower to see my friend the Community Rellations Officer waving and giving the thumbs up. She never admitted it, but I think that someone had been pursuaded to give me a bit of a 'dusting'.

Anyway, come the air show everyone wondered why I covered my glass when XH558 took off! Not quite so low, but still very noise - luvverly stuff.

Feel quite homesick now...........

Allan

gmthomas
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by gmthomas »

britishtourer wrote:I would have loved to hear the Lightnings...
It is that sound that is responsible for my life long passion for aircraft, and that period in particular.

My most enduring childhood memory is of being taken to the annual Battle of Britain air displays at RAF Coltishall in the mid 60's when 226 OCU flew the lightnings from there.

They knew how to run a display in those days. Quite apart from the lightning diamond 9s, near vertical climbs after takeoff, mock ground attacks from hunters, vulcans, victors, javelins, beverlies and argosies, the highlight of every display was the solo lightning display given by Squadron Leader Blackett. The sound was solid and wall to wall deafening.

His normal party piece to finish the display was to run in fast and low on full re-heat from the north sea coast near cromer and run in along the line of the runway. At around the centre of the crowd he would roll 45° left and pull hard through a 90° corner so he climbed away tail on to the crowd who got the full benefit of twin avon reheats blasting away at them. You didn't hear that, you just felt all your insides being vibrated :smile:.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that at a display these days sadly.

Cheers

Glyn

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

BT,

Fortuantely you can still hear and see lightnings... I really recommend going to the Cold War Jets at Bruntingthorpe! It really is something else! :bigrin:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Do they taxi them there or something?

Ben, you've got my interest here! :yipeee:
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Welcome to the forum Glyn :wink:

BT.. where have you been all your life!! Of course they taxi.. and lit up too!! :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

From the size of that grin it must have movement!

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

One to add to the list, eh Vixus?

Anyone got a webpage for it?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"