Sound Barrier

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That sounds like G-AOJC

Never Canbrian but painted as such and then reduced to a fuse when it got dangerous

Latest I heard was it was dumped in a lake for the fishes to live in :sad:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

paulb
Meteor
Meteor

Post by paulb »

Garry Russell wrote:That sounds like G-AOJC

Never Canbrian but painted as such and then reduced to a fuse when it got dangerous

Latest I heard was it was dumped in a lake for the fishes to live in :sad:

Garry
Yes, if my memory serves me correctly, I think that's exactly right. Just an old fuselage repainted by a few enthusiasts..................

Best regards

Paul

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Just to hop in late - I can confirm that the DC8-54/55 would go supersonic in a shallow dive underpower amd without great treipdation or buffet
the Sled was built so damn tough that it just kept on rocking.

Leif

BTW Chris I have heard the story about the Citation X from some folks down your way who operate a fractional jet service :wink:

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

I'm pretty sure that the Citation X is the fastest aircraft commercially avaliable today. Mach 1 here I come!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Mach .92 is all your "rated for" :smile: Allthough Ive had her past the barrier in a dive. The overspeed warning in that thing is rather loud!
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

anzaq
Meteor
Meteor

Post by anzaq »

Hi guys, just joined up after monitoring this wonderful site for ages. :smile: .Just to add some observations to the topic. I also recently watched the Sound Barrier and I noticed that there was a jet aircraft, I believe it to be the Supermarine Attacker, that it was a tail dragger. I always thought that all jet aircraft had tricycle landing gear but here I've been proved wrong and I've seen this movie many times and that's me just noticing. I wouldn't have thought this would be practical as the engine thrust would be pointing towards the runway. Couldn't have done the surface of the runway all that good with all that heat blasting at it. :think:

Gordon

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The Me.262 was originally a tail-dragger as well, but several things contributed to later models being equipped with a nose gear.

paulb
Meteor
Meteor

Post by paulb »

Hi Gordon

Well as you probably know, the Attacker was a very early jet aircraft. It always reminds me of a Seafang with a new fuselage and jet engine!

Apparently, the landing gear configuration was an advantage for a catapault launch where high wing incidence was required.

Best regards

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

There is a history with the Seafang Paul as this came from the Spiteful. The Attacker had the Spiteful's wings, was the F.A.A's first frontline jet fighter and some 145 units were built. A speacial aircraft in FAA history :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Another tail tragger jet was the Jet Viking

I did read somewhere about surfaces suffering heat damage and that I think included conventional but low slung jets as well.. The surfaces then were relitively poor and in some cases almost every day surfaces.

The effect though of a taildragger would be like using a hot air stripper blasting a concentrated stream of very hot air.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."