HS748 Target Cruising Speed

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

ahh cargos.............. :roll:

Lets see

12 tons of Casseterite Kigali-NBO turned the inside of the aeroplane orange used for production of tin.

75 Thompson Gazelle and a Wildebeeste Bull NBO-Maidiguri

4 full Rapier sets from BRZ-Bander Abbas A LONG TIME AGO

3 Aloutettes - Orly - Kathmandu (via SHJ) (CL44)

8 Formula 1 Gran Prix cars (at a time) All over the bloody place CL44

7 tons of Cigarette production material NBO-Mauritius

way too much IRC famine relief material into Moggie long ago
(we have had this discussion before)

IBM equipment (in 1974 it was rather large LGW-KWI-Perth

4.5 tonne of paintings and sculpture LGW-THR (do NOT ask the value)

pallet after pallet after pallet of FMC engines from Saarbruken - East London (via Blantyre Chileka, Malawi - the normal case was to file to
Blantyre then "divert" to East London

I could go on but you get the gist

Leif

360shed
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 360shed »

Pete,

Yes leaving load behind to make an ontime departure was quite a common occurrance, it was a customer requirement in a couple of cases. Virtually all the long-term freight contracts have quite heavy penalty clauses built into them if performance targets - on time departure - isn't met (98% on time to the minute or within 5 minutes is quite normal). So if I say the freighter boys are more punctual than the pax mob I shouldn't be too far wrong.

I had an eight hour delay on a passenger flight with a certain national airline a couple of months ago. If that had been one of our freighters my brain would have been fried with phone calls if a replacement hadn't been sorted long before that stage.

High value cargo ad-hocs are the nicest (but least predictable) way to make money. One fridge-sized box in the back of a Herc, that's heaven! And Leif the Rapiers are still flying!

Jon

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Jon

Your spot on as to On time performance - in the pax industry in the states you have a ten minute window on pax flights before reporting a delay - I have worked the freightdog side of the street off an on over the years - and the likes of Big Brown, Fedex, Drop Hide and Lose and in the old days Emeroid and Bax the standard was two minutes off schedule.
Of course conversely self loading cargo bitches - boxes dont :lol: :-#
and Im amazed that the IAF still have Rapier - also a little scary.
The worst cargo load ??? without a doubt the Hamato KRT-DAM meat freighters - 17 ton of freshly butchered "Beef" (I use the term loosely - Ive seen Sudanese cows) I always wondered how many people would get sick after we hauled that stuff in 115F temps and seeing the way loaders handled food stuffs. :lol: - the aircraft stank and the poly covering on the cargo and pallets leaked so you had 11 pallet postions covered with
congelead beef blood yeechhhh

Leif

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Which F1 team was it that used the CL-44 Lief?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

BT - over a four year period we carried just about all of them - I had the unique experience of sitting in the cockpit of the JPS Lotus 71 going faster than Emerson Fittapaldi ever did :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The contract for hauling F1 cars floated between Tradewinds, TransMeridian and IAS as all three operated CL44s and the aircraft was
ideal for carrying the cars/transporters and equipment

Leif