Need info for a disused airfield

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

anzaq
Meteor
Meteor

Need info for a disused airfield

Post by anzaq »

As I recently visited the museum at East Fortune, I want to create the old airfield in FS. The problem is getting info or diagrams as I want to try and be as accurate as I can. I need to know the layout and dimensions of the runways and taxiways but trying to find out has become difficult. I've trawled through the internet but all I could come up with was an ariel shot which showed mostly the museum and part of the old airfield. If anyone can help out I would be grateful.

Gordon

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Hi Gordon,

The internet usually isn't much good for this kind of information.

Have you tried asking at the museum itself? I would be surprised if they don't have something (photos, maps, etc) of their site history.

Another possibility is to find someone with an old (possibly very old, I don't know when East Fortune closed for flying) copy of Pooley's Flight Guide or equivalent. Old pages from the 'bible', the UK Air Pilot, are constantly thrown away, but in my experience most flying clubs seem able to turn up a 20-year-old copy of Pooley's :smile: :wink: . It's finding an up-to-date one when you're away from base that's difficult :lol:.

A further possibility is the local County Council offices: the surveyor's dept always have a collection of maps going back further than you'll need for this, often with a wealth of detail: the airfield will have been mapped by the OS, too - an old 1:50 000 map might be useful.

It's worth asking the local librarian too.

Just some ideas, but I'm sure that someone on this forum will have what you want.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

Cheers,

Kevin

andy

Post by andy »

Gordon, I'm afraid that this is the best that I can come up with.....

Good luck,

OneMacGuru
Meteor
Meteor

Post by OneMacGuru »

Hi anzaq, to expand on a couple of Kevins suggestions...

There should be an archivist or local studies officer in the local council probably attached to the libraries service. Try and speak to them direct, I know our chap can lay his hands on almost anything within our collection.

Secondly, due to councils having to provide statutory information on contaminated land, they should have copies of old plans at 1:2,500 scale or 1:10,560 (the old 6" series) our dates are:
1869, 1873, 1905, 1938, 1959, 1965 and 1971. All of these are out of Ordnance Survey copyright and the council is permitted to give or sell (to cover costs) one A4 copy to individuals for research purposes. Try and have a word with the mapping officer as they are usually helpful pleasant chaps only happy to oblige.

Finally, one of our chaps bought an old airfield plan from one of the museums. I'm not sure which museum but will ask him when he returns and edit this post.

Al (helpful obliging mapping officer chappie :wink: )

anzaq
Meteor
Meteor

Post by anzaq »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. When I was at East Fortune, I never thought to ask or read any of the info about the airfield itself. I was more interested in the aircraft that was there. I guess my best bet would be to enquire at libraries, council offices etc. Or I could pay another visit to the airfield, giving me an excuse to see the lovely planes again :smile:
Thanks for the diagram, Steve, that will give me something to get started with now that I know how the runways are laid out.

Gordon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Or you could use the Scotflight scenery which has them all already. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

anzaq
Meteor
Meteor

Post by anzaq »

Hi Ben

Yes, I knew about the Scotflight scenery. I might just end up purchasing it. But I wanted to try and create my own airfield first just to see if I can do it. I've managed to edit a few of the default airports in FS using afcad but this will be the first time in creating a new airfield. So I'm hoping its going to turn out ok :wink:

Gordon

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hi Gordon,

Had a look and thisis the bst I could find. :dunno:

Graham

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

I wouldn't say it's completely disused, you can fly microlights from there, can't you?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

anzaq wrote:Hi Ben

Yes, I knew about the Scotflight scenery. I might just end up purchasing it. But I wanted to try and create my own airfield first just to see if I can do it. I've managed to edit a few of the default airports in FS using afcad but this will be the first time in creating a new airfield. So I'm hoping its going to turn out ok :wink:

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I was only meaning in the sense that if you just wanted the airfiled. I'm all for anyone who is prepared to give it a go. Its a great sense of achievement too, and gives you the oppertunity to get it the way you want it. :wink: All the best with it, and I'll look forward to its release. :smile:

Cheers,
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage