Fairy Gannet

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

migman29, You need to rename your model folder to Model.aew3 I think since the aircraft.cfg is telleng Fs to look for that model name so if you have'nt already renamed it Fs will not find it.

Hope this makes sense

May 2006
[fltsim.0]
title=Fairey Gannet AEW3 B Flt, No 849 Sqn 1977
sim=Gannet
model=aew3
panel=
sound=
texture=XL471
kb_checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Fairey
ui_type=Gannet AEW3
ui_variation=B Flt, 849 Sqn, 1977
Rich

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Kevin, You posted as I was typing, that of course is another answer but like you to avoid mix ups I renamed the folder.
Rich

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Phew boys,I thought I'd cocked it up again.

Cheers.

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

delbydoo wrote:Just to go off at a slight tangent Bob, I've had a look at your Victor pics - looks like Ito sans tanker needs a bit of a makeover as well, change those big old sixties style roundels to the pink and blue etc.....what do ya reckon? Some good pics there by the way, now I know why you call yourself what you call yourself :wink:
I keep threatening to upload the texture files to this new Classic British Files site, but I'm hanging on till I go onto Broadband (end of June - ish).

When that happens I will see what I can do with regards to giving them a makeover first. I still have all the bits :smile:

I am wondering over doing the nose end art & number alterations for the Alpha Victor K2 too. We shall see.

To stear the thread back onto Gannets....I visited the Doncaster Aeroventure Museum yestrday (3 1/2 miles from HQ) & was surprised to see a Gannet there, especially as this thread was running. I browsed the www last night to get more info on it. What a tale of woe. Its exploits are nearly as bad as my landings. Had the front prop bent, had nose wheel collapse, had wings removed, laid on side on ground - and thats just the real plane.

Bob :sad:
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Thanks lads.

Gannet now flying like a good'un.

What sounds are we using though?

I've aliased to Fraser's 748 Dart sounds as when I last saw a Gannet fly,
back in the 80's when there was that privately owned AEW3 on the UK
airshow circuit, at Cosford,he came in with one fan running and wound up the other on his opening pass down the display line.

It didn't sound too disimilar to a Dart's whistling burble but with maybe
a bit deeper prop rasp.

The problem is,if you use Fraser's sounds and then shut down you're then unable to re-light again.
The 748 Darts won't start with Ctrl-E and the Gannet panel has no throttle quadrant or electrics panel :doh: :doh: .

I wondered about the sound file from Rick's Herald or better yet the Vanguard sounds(Tynes?) modified to two engines instead of four.

Will either of 'em light up using Ctrl-E??
If there was a quadrant and 'leccy panel then you could shut down and feather the front prop and fly on the rear one.

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

Can you actually have one engine driving one prop & the second engine the other prop?

I have tried this :sad: & find the one engine drives both props & the second engine drives nothing (but does provide thrust) so if the engine that drives the props is stopped so do the props - but it is then possable to take off & fly on the other engine - still with static props.

Re the previous post about the Gannet on the Air Show circuit. I think this is the one currently under repair at Elvington.

BTW does anyone have recent news on how this is going & was the front prop ever returned, or lost or still being held till payment is forthcoming.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

delticbob wrote:Can you actually have one engine driving one prop & the second engine the other prop?

I have tried this :sad: & find the one engine drives both props & the second engine drives nothing (but does provide thrust) so if the engine that drives the props is stopped so do the props - but it is then possable to take off & fly on the other engine - still with static props.

Re the previous post about the Gannet on the Air Show circuit. I think this is the one currently under repair at Elvington.

BTW does anyone have recent news on how this is going & was the front prop ever returned, or lost or still being held till payment is forthcoming.

Bob
I believe so Bob.

The Gannet engine is a "Double-Mamba",i.e one engine but two power sections,each driving a prop,so that in effect you have twin-engined reliability but with the fuselage section of a single engine.

That is definitely what the pilot did displaying at Cosford all those years ago.
He entered the display line with the front prop stopped and feathered and at about display centre the front prop and relevant power section could be seen and heard winding up,un-feathered and hey presto his next pass was made with both props turning and two burning.
This is why the Gannet has a very good "loiter time"on station.

Whether Itosan has correctly modelled this feature I can't say myself,
as I can't yet shut down one or t'other and re-light but from what you say,
by the sounds of it he hasn't modelled it.

You may well be right about the a/c at Elvington being the one I saw.
I did hear it was awaiting the return of it's front prop,and it's been waiting for quite a while now.

ADDITION.Yep Bob that's the one, XL502.

Mark

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Really like the new FDE for it, I have been redoing the paint to read now all the numbers of 849 B flt Ark Royal, still haven't got them all to show yet but getting there.

Sorry for the small pic but shows you where I'm going