DM 1-11 updates panel views

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Clem
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

DM 1-11 updates panel views

Post by Clem »

Hi all

I recently downloaded the updates for David's 1-11 (excellent models....all of them!). Installed them as described but I think I may have done something wrong as I now don't have any cockpit sideviews in the 2D panel...is that correct?

VC panel lighting is now fabulous though!!
:think:
Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

NeilC
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by NeilC »

Hallo All,

I recently updated DM's absolutely brilliant BAC-111.

Now comes the bit that will upset people :roll: I am not a great fan of Virtual Cockpits.

I spent a whole day trying to disable the VC, so that I could fly the updated 111 with the updated Panel without VC.

Unfortunately I have failed. When I remove the VC part of the panel.cfg file, everything is fine appart from 2 things.

1. It is impossible to start the engines (select the starter, and the amber lights come on, but no movement of the gauges and no green shaft light).

2. After reinstalling DMs brilliant 2D side veiws, I can't remove the VC's side views from behind them. I have tried using a hex editor to change the first time 00 22 00 39 00 appears (a suggestion from Avsim which seems to work with all other VCs). If you replace all the 00 22 00 39 00s from the mdl file (with 00 22 00 00 00), it does the job of removing the VC view, but you also lose most of the tail plain and horizontal stabilisor.

To cut a long story short - is there any chance of a Non-VC model using the updated 111 (panel and exterior). :smile:

Its not that I don't appreciate all your hard work dave...................... :wink:

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

???? :sad:

there are no 2d panel views in a VC model.

they will both try to display at the same time so there are none.

When you look left & right you see the VC.

All of you simmers that don't like VC's need to realise how hard it is to try and keep a stable of models upto date when a few people insist in not having a VC. (extra models to store and update)

It's a lot more work for us and to be honest a pain in the Bottom.
No offense ment but it really is a pain.

98% of people want a VC now so that is what we make.
That alone has been a pain as it takes longer than the exterior model.

You can't please everyone. :wink:

Regards
Rick

NeilC
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by NeilC »

Thanks Rick,

You can hardly ever please anyone :dance:

I have found a fix though. If you go into FS9.cfg file you can change the "See own aircraft" to 0. This way, when in the 2D panel you can asign the bmp views without having the VC in the background.

Most aircraft have NoVC options nowadays (although they must be a pain to do).

It is all a matter of personal taste, but unless you have a track IR, and can accept that the click areas are hard to use, and are willing to put up with inferior graphics, then the VC is for you.

If you like big jet flying (mostly IFR) then 2D is the only way.

I am ready to be flamed :doh:

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Neil

My 748 also already has no VC models inside the files.(not documented)

By the way i was only speaking for me about tha VC/Non VC thing being a pain.

The 1-11 has an extremely accurate VC and the viewpoint is placed correctly.

To be honest i think you need TRackIR to use the VC effectively.
I still can't afford one but it looks like the way to go.

I personally find it very hard to run 2 sets of models.
Like the initial HS748 release is 3 models plus another 3 noVC models.

I also have 3 more variants coming so with no VC that will be 12 models just for one aircraft type. :doh:

Thats why it's a pain as you need 12 models and if you have to fix a part
that has an error it's got to be fixed 12 times which is where the pain comes in :wink:

Regards
Rick

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I also dislike VCs but I prefer to see working parts of the VC when I look Foreward_Left and Forward_Right, rather than Bitmaps. I find I can easily avoid the Full VC by using SHFT+S from the 2D cockpit to jump into Spot View and just S to go back...One soon gets the hang of it.

On my favourite aircraft I usually manage to get rid of the forward diagonal bitmaps and replace them with live VC parts and I have two Hat Switches on my stick... on like this + and the other like this x ...The latter is set to give the four diagonal views and they remain when the hatswitch is released. The former gives the normal straight views to left, right and rear and these cancel to straight ahead when the hat switch is released. So from a locked diagonal view from the x switch one can cancel by a blip on the + switch.

Anyway, I digress and reverting to the original theme...The MOST convenient system would be a configurable "S" key sequence...Three views 2D, Tower and Spot or Four views as present which includes the VC...If we could just specify 3 Views or 4 Views, I'm sure that would suit everybody.

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Peter

I think i get what you mean. :wink:

Basically the ability to remove the VC view from the S-shift S sequence.

That would be a very handy thing but i fear that FSX will be VC only from all the rubbish speculated stuff i have read. :doh:

Good idea though and i would have thought do-able with some coding experience.

Regards
Rick :wink:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rick

I have heard that as well

I hope not

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Peter

I think i get what you mean. :wink:

Basically the ability to remove the VC view from the S-shift S sequence.

That would be a very handy thing but i fear that FSX will be VC only from all the rubbish speculated stuff i have read. :doh:

Good idea though and i would have thought do-able with some coding experience.
Hi Rick,

Yes, I'm sure that it could be tweaked to amend the sequence to 3 instead of four...But that coding is beyond my reach. If FSX does go VC only then that is just another reason for me not to use it...The other reasons are pretty obvious really:-

1. I love FS9.1
2. All my addon scenery works perfectly.
3. All my addon aircraft work perfectly.
4. All my addon applications like FSNav etc. work perfectly.

In FSX the last three numbered statements would NOT be true.

I think that about a year after the release of FSX the "All" in those three numbered will still NOT be true but SOME of them will have been updated and work perfectly.

Then depending on which ones do work I can decide whether to use it in preference to FS9.1 ...However, if FSX is VC only then I won't even install it.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Depends really. I like flying in 2d mode, but for landing I like switching to VC and setting the zoom to about .65 or .71 so I can get a good view of the runway and intruments. I allways seem to have smoother landings when in the VC.

Also a good VC is good for looking around mid flight when there is nothing else to do :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.