2D or not 2D that is the question..

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which one do you fly in?

Poll ended at 30 May 2006, 09:18

I prefer 2D View
61%
I prefer VC view
39%

Total votes: 66

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Dave I remember you mentioning those 3D glasses. Don't think they are the same thing I want.
Doubt they are quite good enough yet, but it's something along these lines I think (not had a good look yet, just from a quick search)
http://www.3dvisor.com/
A bit like a TrackIR, but you're not looking at the screen, the picture is in the goggles. You can look over your shoulder & you've still got the image there in front of your eyes. 1:1 head motion and hopefully a decent field of view more like reality. The 3D world is there now, it just needs the display to catch up.

Like Chris says, it would need some thought to make operating the controls viable.
I'd be happy to just have mouse control with it though, so you can click things like in a current VC. That would be ok for me as I don't use the keyboard much, if at all when flying and I can handle the yoke bits by touch.
If I was using Chris' space control gloves I'd probably hit my head on the wall as I reached over for the gear lever!

DM
Last edited by MALTBY D on 23 May 2006, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

I'm definately in the wrong job...my first opportunity to have a read through the forums today and the rest of you have already managed a four page thread... :lol: :lol: :lol:

2D for me...the VCs produced by our resident artistes are stunning pieces of work and I use them..but they are the exceptions.

I'll stick with 2D until the peripheral vision and perspective of VCs are sorted out.....

ATB,

Derek :smile:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

MALTBY D wrote:
I'm hoping that in FSX main 2D panels will not be needed. That's assuming they have sorted the refresh rate issue in the new sim!
So long as they get it right, I can't see why the VC can't make the main 2D panel redundant. It would be nice to keep 2D for optional popup windows though, autopilots & radios etc.
Hi David,

I was thinking this very thing earlier on today after reading this thread - I too really hope that MS do something about the panels in FSX, because I don't consider having two different cockpit views to be satisfactory. I think that really the two need to be combined into one, as having just one cockpit view would improve framerates (or so logic would appear to dictate, although I'm no expert). Also, we could actually compare how good a cockpit view each FSX aircraft has, instead of most of the current FS9 aircraft having two cockpit views, each with their own individual pros and cons for that aircraft. It would also save time for developers, since a lot of people currently expect them to produce two high quality cockpit views, when only one is really necessary. Finally, if MS abolished the 2D view (because if they were to get rid of one, it would probably be the 2D) then everyone would have to use the VC, and we would all be forced to get used to and enjoy using the VC, as well as forcing developers to make it as realistic, useable and frame-rate friendly as possible, to cater for everyone, instead of the VC just being a framerate-expensive luxury for those with high-end PCs, as we have now. So I think that abolishing 2D panels (even though I'm a fan of them for some aircraft) or better still, combining the two would be a good move for FSX, as it would really drive improvements in cockpit views in the new sim (assuming that the new sim allows improvement).
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Angus wrote:
Finally, if MS abolished the 2D view (because if they were to get rid of one, it would probably be the 2D) then everyone would have to use the VC.
I for one won't be forced into it, I would just keep FS9 and not upgrade. :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks for that DM. :wink:

The setup in that thread is above and beyond the Edimensional product in a great many ways.. not least of all the price..$549 :shock: :shock: :shock:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Looks a little expensive for my tastes, plus I would forget I was wearing them, get up and go a@se over t#t!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Tbh Ive been having a think about this, if FSX does not come with 2d panels that I dont think I will be buying it for a while, because until a VC can match the funtionality and most of all readability of a good 2D pannel without add on toys like Track IR ect then Im going to stick with 2D's for flying and VC's to taxi/land with.

Aircraft made by Dreamfleet & Eaglesoft, for example, have everything in the 2D panel acessable via hidden clickspots that are a joy to use.

I have photoshoped the 2 main panels of the Baron and SR22 into a single image:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8650/ps8yx.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8518/image47mw.jpg
Ignore the obvious join lines ect.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

In all honesty Jonesey.. should 2D's disappear, then I won't be upgrading either. I like to have the option but without it.. we've made a retrograde step. It will save me a few bob anyway :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

MALTBY D wrote:And it can't be all that long until we have those 3D goggle things instead of TrackIR. I never went for TrackIR in the end, but I'll be up for 3D goggle things!! :lol:
VC for me.

DM
First I must say, it's a great pleasure to fly your aircraft
(yours and the others involved in making it)
I think 3D is the up and comming hardware move in the not to distant future.
The gogles are really nice. but the view in the goggles is
like looking into a 19" moniter I was a bit disapointed
I thought it might be more like a large screen TV , not so :sad:
I have to say with a good VC and the 3D glasses the virtual experience is captivating. The 1-11 ,, trident and Ricks 748 (and a few other types )is damn near perfection
as far as flicker free and easily read gauges. (this requires 100hz refresh rate)
The newest 3D eyewear is better in that the refresh rate is
set to work at a slower hz , allowing for LCD moniters to be used
and of course the 3D lcd moniters that are hitting the market
"No Glasses Needed"
wonder what Kevins setup would look like if all his moiters were 3D.
although a setup like kevins maybe better,
:doh: 3D glasses........ or sournded by moniters.......
sounds like another poll.....
btw last look the VC is gaining altitude
ATB
Joe

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kimber »

The prostitution rests!!

Case closed!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do this in a 2D!!