2D or not 2D that is the question..

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which one do you fly in?

Poll ended at 30 May 2006, 09:18

I prefer 2D View
61%
I prefer VC view
39%

Total votes: 66

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

2D or not 2D that is the question..

Post by VEGAS »

Hi all,

Just been wondering to myself regarding Aircraft VC's. I have noticed over the last few months that many folks like them and many hate them. Personally I love them, especially a working one, as for me, it add a little extra realism inside the cockpit. Especially if your able to pan around and look at the interior.

Now some Aircrafts VC's are spectacular, especially the British stuff that is created by our very own residents mods. I was keen to know why people choose the cockpit layout they do.

I know some loathe VC's and swear by traditional 2D cockpit layouts. I guess theres nothing wrong with personal preference. Its just interesting to know the reasons.

Please select a choice and give your reasons.
Last edited by VEGAS on 23 May 2006, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Ian Warren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

VC .. YES

Post by Ian Warren »

Hi ya VEGAS .. VC is a must , airliners .. regular - It was MAAMs 25 that sealed the deal for me .. CapSims 104 for example -is other end off the scale requiring - agian changed me to true THUMBS UP for it... going to keep eyeball on this , VC has to stay !!

Thought ! have the XH558 , with limited viewin in VC (REAL) still has to stay! .. thru 'it' that into Nelson Airport NZ .. did a review MOTHER Superb!

Ian

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

I've voted for 2D, but I use the VC quite a lot, particularly when landing in the Trident. I like to zoom back, to get a good view of the panel AND the world outside!

I hate to use the hat switch to look around, and a VC zoomed back doesn't have the detail to use all the time, but I intend to purchase a TrackIR at some point, so VCs will be the way to go.

James

Ian Warren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ian Warren »

Hi James
I was going to purchase IRTracker , but 10 months back had mention that it will no work with ActiveCAM .. AC I've used that for ..well since it was released and Swear by it .. And a lot CHEAPER!

Lotta people s will vouch for and others have exact oppsiite , but its what u prefer .. myself like as if getting out off the seat .. and plus We all been there the window seat (S) on approach after a good landing

Thats Me , mind u i would still buy IRtracker later stage ..

Ian

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

I have voted 2D as that is what I use for 99% of my flying. The only time I use VC is when I have cruise established and want to look around a bit. The rest of the time I use the 2D panel.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I find I can't see so many intrument in VC and constantantly moving the hat switch is a nuisance and the movements are not completely smooth.

I don't find the instuments so clear to read and usually duller.

2D is square, share and easy to read

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Keith Jones
Victor
Victor

Post by Keith Jones »

I don't use the VC at all: In fact I've disabled the VC in all aircraft in my hangar. But before I did that I bought that TrackIR thing but couldn't keep my head steady enough to be able to use the mouse to click on gauges in the VC. That was when I decided to go the WidevieW route. I have six monitors running off three networked computers and it is the best thing I have ever experienced in FS. Three monitors are used for the outside scenery and three for the panels and FSNavigator.

I realise this sort of setup is beyond a lot of people's budget but if your budget can stretch this far I would higly recommend this sort of set-up. The only drawback with this system is that you can not get the AI synchronised across the three computers (although this problem is being worked on).

That's my two penn'orth :smile:
Wherever you go, there you are.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Keith,

Now thats what I call a set up! I can only dream of such a creation at the moment as I try and balance flight simming with mountain biking (which has taken up most of my spare dosh!). In the future I am tempted to set up a similar creation and may be hassling you for some inside knowledge!! Nice work.. :wink:

ATB
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

OneMacGuru
Meteor
Meteor

Post by OneMacGuru »

I love my TrackIR - that should answer the question :dance:

Al

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I love a good, quality 2D pannel, I used 2D to set up & manage all of the systems and generally stay in 2d for the flight and use the VC for landing/ having a look around mid flight.

Im not really keen on VC's on big airliners, Id rather just pan around, move the viewpoint back and get that "out the window" view. DM's 1-11 is an exception, I allways seem to make the best landings when in the VC, idealy zoomed out to .70 and moved slightly back in the seat and angled down a bit.

Small planes like GA ect, VC is a must tho. Anything made by Dreamfleet springs to mind.

The Eaglesoft Citation 10's Vcabin is a joy to move the viewpoint back and enjoy all the comfort mid flight and Im very looking foreward to the Feelthere Legacy.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.